FPR - correct positioning of a gauge

Make it quick...and reliable
gpzrfan
Supporter

FPR - correct positioning of a gauge

Post by gpzrfan »

I may be over thinking this...or not thinking enough

BUT when installing an FPR what is the correct position for a pressure gauge . I ask as I have a Turbosmart FPR800 that has an optional port on the body for a gauge buy I'm not sure I will have space under the FPR when installed. so I may leave that port blocked and install a separate gauge

My thoughts are the gauge should come after the FPR as this will than read the adjusted pressure ...right ??

BUT then I look at my Paxo special turbo and the gauge is before the FPR - see photo
plenum covers satin black 3 - Copy.JPG
plenum covers satin black 3 - Copy.JPG (66.48 KiB) Viewed 155 times
This is before even consider installation advise that says : Your fuel pressure regulator should be mounted at least 100mm from any significant heat source. .... its an air cooled engine, its a bloody heat source :rofl:
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: FPR - correct positioning of a gauge

Post by longfiredragon »

gpzrfan, your not alone. I put some thought into this as well when I was tossing around this subject. I may be wrong, but I believe the supplied port on the FPR is in the correct place (Some credit to engineers) so as to read the regulated pressure. Another words it's going to read the pressure you want to see which is what you set it at. Mine does.

I know there is a lot of ways you could do this. So I will just share what my thought was. I wanted my gauge where I can see it when I am actually making any adjustments to the regulator. So mine comes off the regulator and I put an extension on it where it sticks out past the DFI harness and away from the engine, at least a little bit. Does it work? IMHO yes it works beautifully, whenever I am making an adjustment to the regulator the gauge is right there in my face.

Heat, heat is a legitimate concern. Honestly where I found it gets the most heat, is when you shut the bike off and the heat is emanating straight up on the gauge. So much so, that my first gauge got so hot it popped the plug out and leaked all the oil out all over the engine and my garage floor. :mad

So I bought a gauge with a screw in permanent plug. Issue solved. After this happened I thought, I wonder how hot it is getting when I am just cruising down the road at like 35 mph. (Not that it matters, because I am not looking at it, so I really don't care I watch my AFR) But I put my bare hand on it anyway. Where mine is, it's not that hot, I could put my bare hand on it.

You could go crazy if you want. Like the position of the regulator to begin with, it gets so hot right there that it could boil the fuel in the reg. if your not careful. But Kawasaki put it there, so was it right, did they know what they were doing?

I don't know, it's kinda personal preference to some degree. I am very happy with mine, it looks good, works good, and is right where I want it when making adjustment's. Sorry if I got long winded. :beer
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: FPR - correct positioning of a gauge

Post by longfiredragon »

You can see it here, even though it's not a close up. Of course you may not like it sticking this far out. Again, some what personal preference.
Attachments
IMG_20220326_082905_resize_74_compress92_resize_17.jpg
IMG_20220326_082905_resize_74_compress92_resize_17.jpg (195.63 KiB) Viewed 128 times