Need some input on motor build for a MR. Turbo

Make it quick...and reliable

Need some input on motor build for a MR. Turbo

Postby innovativems » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Afternoon,

I have a GPZ turbo that just came in and heres the current state on it. It's a stock motor and has the MR. Turbo kit. The owner stated it was running up to 25 lbs of boost and he lost compression in two cylinders. He's after a street motor that will simply handle that much boost. So i'm new to these bikes and here was my initial thoughts.

1- balance crank
2- shot peen and balance rods/maybe see about some carillo rods being made for it
3- Wiesco pistons big bore
4- APE studs
5- Not sure on the clutch for handling the power
and figure out how to piggyback onto the fuel system with a power commander to map for it.

Also looking for input on controlling the boost on it.

Does anyone have any information on the MR. Turbo kits? I'm not finding much with my searches
innovativems

Re: Need some input on motor build for a MR. Turbo

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:10 pm

innovativems wrote:Afternoon,

I have a GPZ turbo that just came in and heres the current state on it. It's a stock motor and has the MR. Turbo kit. The owner stated it was running up to 25 lbs of boost and he lost compression in two cylinders. He's after a street motor that will simply handle that much boost. So i'm new to these bikes and here was my initial thoughts.
Do not have to but can. 1- balance crank Do not have to but you can.
2- shot peen and balance rods/maybe see about some carillo rods being made for it Do not have to but you can
3- Wiesco pistons big bore Definitely a good idea
4- APE studs Definitely a good idea
5- Not sure on the clutch for handling the power Use stock OEM Clutches with HD Red Springs or Lock UP Clutch
and figure out how to piggyback onto the fuel system with a power commander to map for it. See the Power Commander section if desired.

Also looking for input on controlling the boost on it. Control the boost from the waste gate actuator on turbo. If it is making 25 lbs of boost it was pre loaded and/or a added boost controller in pressure lines. You will not build a motor on street making safely more then 17 lbs of boost on pump fuel. Fuel is the problem. If you can run C16 or 100 all the time you could get away with 20 lbs on 100, C16 more. Mr Turbo Kit is a Garrett T25 that was replacement for Hitachi with lot of mods to fit. It produces boost later in RPM range so it has lag until 5500RPM up and will produce more power than a STOCK HT10 especially with high boost. Not the ideal street turbo. But will work if you don't mind the lag. Few of the members here have switched to Billet Hitachi's for better street performance and lot more power than stock.

Does anyone have any information on the MR. Turbo kits? I'm not finding much with my searches

Mr Turbo went out of business according to one of my customers who used to send his RayJay drag turbos to them before us.

[color=#00BF00] Update...did a search and the website still comes up so they may not be out of business..my apologies...https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0geK.PAf ... iGU-/color] If turbo needs any work we can also offer full machined rebuild and upgrades to the T25 on the kit.

Good read worth the upgrades
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13810
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby DEATH_INC. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:20 am

If it was running 25+psi on the stock pump and injectors it probably went very lean at higher rpm. I use a Walbro 195 lpm pump and I'm pretty sure Charlie can supply bigger injectors (Charlie?)
Stock rods seem to be ok for over 200 hp.
Wiseco 810 kit is a great mod.
The stock studs will handle it but of course ape are good insurance.
No one here likes them but I ran a barnett clutch in mine with over 25 psi and no slip. Heavy lever pressure though.
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
DEATH_INC.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Good info..yes can get the larger injectors if needed :thumbup
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby innovativems » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Thank you everyone for your input! What's everyone doing for ignition? dyna 2000?
innovativems

Postby DEATH_INC. » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Stock with accel coils on mine. No real advantage to an aftermarket system, no-one has found any benefit to changing the timing curve (that I can remember anyhow).
DEATH_INC.

Postby innovativems » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:58 am

DEATH_INC. wrote:Stock with accel coils on mine. No real advantage to an aftermarket system, no-one has found any benefit to changing the timing curve (that I can remember anyhow).

Thank you!
innovativems

Postby innovativems » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 pm

DEATH_INC. wrote:If it was running 25+psi on the stock pump and injectors it probably went very lean at higher rpm. I use a Walbro 195 lpm pump and I'm pretty sure Charlie can supply bigger injectors (Charlie?)
No one here likes them but I ran a barnett clutch in mine with over 25 psi and no slip. Heavy lever pressure though.

Thank you for that information. Are you able to run pump fuel with that amount of boost? Any ignition changes with like a dyna 2000 or anything?

He is really set on being able to turn up the boost and run it at 25psi for fun and is open to having two fuel maps and running race fuel if needed.
innovativems

Postby DEATH_INC. » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 am

innovativems wrote:
DEATH_INC. wrote:If it was running 25+psi on the stock pump and injectors it probably went very lean at higher rpm. I use a Walbro 195 lpm pump and I'm pretty sure Charlie can supply bigger injectors (Charlie?)

Thank you for that information. Are you able to run pump fuel with that amount of boost? Any ignition changes with like a dyna 2000 or anything?

He is really set on being able to turn up the boost and run it at 25psi for fun and is open to having two fuel maps and running race fuel if needed.

I can with the fuel we have down here, but the octane (96-98 ron) may be measured different than yours is so I'm not sure how it compares. I also run an aftermarket ecu (for the fuel only) so I can run it a bit richer etc to help with that.
DEATH_INC.

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:21 pm

If your running the Low Impedance Injectors these work great... 300cc of shelf like $28.00 per injector. My 810 runs perfect with them and tried 4 other sets. These are the best used.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17643&p=176062&hilit=NAPA+injectors#p176062
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby Lorcan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:40 am

Did you get all the answers you need Innovate? This thread might also be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13402&p=121003&hilit=the+route+to+power#p121003

The MrTurbo kit, I believe, was based around a Garrett T2 turbo. You can make more power at lower boost by running a more efficient turbo. Stock rods are fine, but ideally you would want a lockup clutch and these are hard to find. You can make one if you have access to a machine shop.
First to 200mph (2006) and still the fastest (211mph)
Quickest turbo-only 8.69 @ 162mph
Lorcan
Intercooler

Postby Turboblew2 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:27 pm

honestly Ive never seen a "Mr Turbo" equipped GPz do anything impressive except mimic what a low compression engine feels like. Doggish & pathetic.
Did the 2 inside cylinders blow?? Thats usually the MO when you crank the boost with not enough fuel. Then add the in adequate oilpump.
My opinion... put an 810 with some port work on a stock turbo refurb'd by Evergreen. Increase the charge pipe size, add 1100 throttle bodies, and install a bypass valve. Put a better fuel pump along with the injectors Charlie recommends. Maybe a set of cams and a lockup. Thats a solid 150hp at stock wastegate levels in good air quality.

Unless youre customer is a expert level rider... I cant imagine needing 25 psi other than bragging rights. Now if your guy can run 5s in the 1/8th mile or qualify top 10 at a club race qualifier... then Id worry about boost regulators and high octane leaded fuels and the menagerie that comes with tuning it.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Return to Street Tuning