Quick Shifter

Please use this forum to list NEW parts, with their price, supplier and location. NO DISCUSSION PLEASE!

Quick Shifter

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:44 pm

So, I did this, kinda just because it's what I do :rofl: I know as I am sure most of us do that quick shifters have been around a long time, both air, and electric. I remember guys back in the mid to late eighty's that had them. But I wanted to do 2 things. 1 see how technology has changed, and 2 see if there was a comp. out there that would work with me on these old bikes, so I /we could just call up or whatever and order a kit that we know is going to work on the turbo. (I know I / we could probably adapt a lot of these ourselves and make it work, but again I just wanted a ready made kit) So I put inquiries in with 5 diff. companies. 2 have responded with sorry your SOL. (Or I guess they want nothing to do with these older bikes) 1 Comp. however responded the first day, and said sure we will be happy to take care of you, just send us some info. and we will get right on it. So I sent them the manual so they would have all the wiring, I sent them some pages out of the parts manual so they could see how the shifter linkage was set up on these older bikes, and I sent them some close up shots of the bike itself. (Shifter area)

Myself I thought it would be nice to have the option of not having to use the clutch all the time. And yes I can speed shift with the best of them, (Up & Down) but this is diff. you don't have to let off the throttle at all, so no throttle blipping, you can shift at low RPM, or WOT, you can down shift. You may want to clutch between 1 & 2 but the MFG states as long as you have it set up right and you are experiencing smooth shifts, you don't have to use the clutch between 1 & 2. Of course damage caused by the quick shifter was a concern, so I researched that a little. The general thought is that using a quick shifter is no worse than speed shifting, in fact it is supposed to be better because the transmission/clutch is unloaded for a few milliseconds and then the shift happens and it is reloaded. Where some believe speed shifting tends to round off gears and or the shifting drum where as a quick shifter won't. That being said it is also thought that the gentlest you can be on your clutch is to gently pull in the clutch, gently shift and gently let back out on the clutch, so ok if that's how you want to clutch. Of course some opinions are that if you don't want transmission or clutch damage then you better not ride your bike, ever. Another words this would be up to each person, and to do your own research. Can you still miss shifts, yes you can with all quick shifters, this is on the person to shift correctly.

This company responded in one day and said this kit is for your Turbo, Heal Tech Electronics out of Hungary. They are using the latest technology, it uses a strain gauge (Instead of a mechanical, that has moving parts) The strain gauge is super sensitive and can be adjusted to set the milliseconds you want to have for the gear change, up & down. It has no moving parts. It is blue toothed to your apple or android phone to set it up. You can of course still use your clutch the same as you always have any time you want. With just a couple of taps on your phone you can turn the system off. The strain gauge attaches to the 10mm bolt on your shifter rod. (Not sure yet but may have to get a longer bolt and use a lock nut, haven't seen the kit yet) They back it with the best warranty I have seen, 2 years. They also support it with free software updates if anything changes, all through an app on your phone. The module is very small, shock proof and weather proof. Anyway it seems like a top notch product. I have not purchased the shifter yet because I do not have the money at the moment. I am going to buy one as soon as I can. Point is if you decide this is something you may want, please check out the comp. and come to your own comfort level before you purchase. And also please post and let us know how it is working and how you like it etc.

The kit number is iQSE-1 + QSH-P2T (I think the T on the end is for Turbo :pasties )

This is the link to the install instructions (They did ask that you double check the diagram to make sure it was correct, that would be double checking with the supplement manual, I have not had time to yet. I need a dang magnifying glass to read the wiring in the supplement manual. I will try and check ASAP and post back. If someone else has a chance to, great)

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/do ... ide_en.pdf

This is a link to their distributer page.
www.healtech-electronics.com/wheretobuy

If the links don't work try copy and pasting them. Oh, almost forgot the price, I can't confirm pricing yet because Blue Monkey is in Idaho and they are 3 hrs. behind FL. so not open yet. It looks like the standard kit is $320 though, just don't quote me on this yet. This is way better than most, that are upwards of $1000 for the same Tech. About the same price across the pond. Blue Monkey is listed on the wheretobuy link posted above.
I will post again with any additional info. I find out, and or as soon as I get mine and have a chance to install. and ride. (Which might be a while because I am still waiting on forks, and time to install those before I can ride) :victory
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: Quick Shifter

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Just got off the phone with blue Monkey the US Distributor, they said it will come with a longer bolt so you can attach the strain gauge to the shifter lever where it bolts to the out put shaft. And it is $320 with free shipping in the US.

He did say they are selling so fast though that there can be a like 10 to 12 day wait. :victory
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby turbo_Rob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 pm

Very nice work.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
The never ending winter project.......
Rob
turbo_Rob
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:09 am

So its electric?? Thats pretty slick man..let us know when you get one installed. :beer
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby longfiredragon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:37 pm

So, another company responded, so I am just updating. They are called Starlane out of Italy. They seem to be a pretty upscale electronics company catering to a lot of racing, MotoGP etc. They mostly talk about racing applications, they do make a lot of really cool stuff, like a digital dashboard. Their response was short and sweet, all they said was you should be able to install the IONIC-NRG. So I called their distributor (Which you can find on their website) The kit does also come with a longer bolt for attachment of the strain gauge. The Rep. said it is a generic kit that just uses grounding of the coils for the interrupt (Same as the Heal Tech.)

They brag a little about how good their control module is, and how well it works on downshifting. It might be a little better than the Heal Tech, I would have to do some more research to do a good comparison. For the most part it appears that both companies use pretty much the same tech.

The one thing I have to say about Heal Tech though is they went that extra mile to confirm the turbo wiring, provide bike specific install instructions, and give the kit a bike specific kit number. So the major difference here is the price. Starlane wants $419 and did not mention free shipping. Heal Tech wants $320 with free shipping. I am sure there are other companies that make digital dashboards but Starlanes it's pretty cool, makes me wonder about just a complete replacement one day on the turbo :mrgreen: I am posting a link.

http://www.starlane.com/
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby turbo_Rob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
The never ending winter project.......
Rob
turbo_Rob
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Another quick update. I politely replied to Starlane, and thanked them for their help. However I also politely informed them that Heal-Tech. has their price beat by $100 and free shipping, cause this is what I do :rofl: The replied back with a kinda WHAT! response. Not sure what is going to happen on the pricing, maybe nothing, but they also reveled that they know Heal-Tech because Heal-Tech is using Starlanes patent on the module.

So they answered my question without me asking as to whether the technology is the same. Both Companies use the same module :rofl:

:victory
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Georgeturbo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Cool. This has me intrigued, just been reading through both websites, not sure which one to go for.

George
Georgeturbo
Supporter

Postby georgew4714 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Great research as usual Longfiredragon :thumbup

My eyebrows have been fully raised reading through this . I might be a buyer into this technology for future drag race fun . :popcorn
84 750E1 ,zx7 swing arm & rim , Zr7s shock ,dyna coils, k&n , bov , afpr , variable resistor for race mode. Ported spider ,dump pipe , Evergreen billet HT-10 , RTI hydraulic clutch .
georgew4714
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:42 pm

I agree George. The nice thing is you can use your clutch as much as you want, the same as you always have. But, if needed, or just cause you can, you can do full throttle shifts and never let off the throttle. Or if your like me after a full days ride and a little tired or just feeling lazy you can shift gently at lower RPM with no clutching. And honestly I think price is pretty reasonable. :thumbup
longfiredragon
Supporter

Return to New Parts Resource