Ricks Stator & Mosfit Regulator Upgrade Info

Please use this forum to list NEW parts, with their price, supplier and location. NO DISCUSSION PLEASE!

Ricks Stator & Mosfit Regulator Upgrade Info

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Gonna post the PNs at the top of the thread for easy access... Ricks Alternators also has a Mosfit Regulator that is hard wired so it should mount in the stock location now with a couple of new holes drilled in the existing bracket.

On my engine the charging never got to 14V +

The highest was 13.8 V and only the one time?? Figure that out then it dropped to low 13s and then into the 12s..so I replaced with Ricks Stator and Mosfit Regulator. Been perfect since and runs better I think due to the ECU getting a solid 14v to run processor. :thumbup

Ricks Alternator PN 21-237 $158.95
Shinedin SH775 $78.00
Wiring Plug kit PN 11-501

You will need to get wire, connectors, shrink tube etc to plug into the alternator directly.

Ricks does make a universal wiring kit PN 11-501 but its $89.55

Thanks to Tim for putting all this info together a while back. I have this installed and as you can see works perfectly ever since.

Good read with pictures, wiring, explanation of upgrades
Thanks Tim! Upgrading electrical is excellent in any application and will be doing this upgrade :thumbup

ps..box is on the way :beer

Timiacobucci wrote:I thought I ought to contribute something to this forum so I am writing this for anyone who has had any regulator or stator problems in the past. I personally looked into this because I am starting from a kz650 and the stock charging systems on these do not have the best reputation for reliability. I believe the 750 turbo system to be a bit better but at the very least this upgrade should enhance the reliability of a still well functioning system. This upgrade to a Shindengen SH775 series regulator is a known upgrade for many makes of older bikes and lots of information across different forums can be found should anyone like to research this independently. I also have NOT tested this myself on my bike yet because it is not running. I usually don't like to advocate things I have not personally tested but this seems pretty solid and you guys can decide for yourself if it's a worthwhile endeavor.

A common upgrade to the old school Shindengen SCR shunt based regulators is to the newer Shindengen or aftermarket mosfet based shunt regulators. This reduces the losses of the SCR and is more efficient and the regualtor itself runs much cooler and is much more reliable. This doesn't really do much for the load on the stator itself or the draw from that load from stator on the crankshaft. It is still basically shorting the stator to regulate excess current. The SH775 is a series regulator and works in a completely different fashion.

The series voltage regulator or series pass voltage regulator uses a variable element placed in series with the load. By changing the resistance of the series element, the voltage dropped across it can be varied to ensure that the voltage across the load remains constant.

The advantage of the series voltage regulator is that the amount of current drawn is effectively that used by the load, although some will be consumed by any circuitry associated with the regulator. Unlike the shunt regulator, the series regulator does not draw the full current even when the load does not require any current. As a result the series regulator is considerably more efficient.

from http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/power-management/linear-power-supply-psu/series-voltage-regulator-theory-circuit.php

The stock turbo regulator is kawasaki part # 21066-1018 or Shindengen SH532-12, this is a 12V 35 Amp SCR shunt regulator.

The Shindengen SH775, same manufacturer as oem, SCR based series regulator, 12V 35 Amp rated. OEM Polaris part number 4012941.

The connectors are different so this is not a plug n play deal. The wiring is very straight forward though and also affords the opportunity to upsize / refresh some critical wiring in the harness.

from http://roadstercycle.com/Easy%20Mosfet%20Install.htm

You can buy the regulator and wiring connectors directly from roadstercycle. You can also buy the SH775 independently and get just the connectors from roadstercycle. You can find the genuine non chinese replicas from most reputable oem parts distributors using the factory Polaris part # 4012941

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/polaris/PP-4012941.html

http://roadstercycle.com/ Image

Here is a relevant technical discussion on a V-strom forum. I guess they have had allot of issues with stator failures and the series regulator is an apparent solution for this.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=20426.0

The next pictures are NOT from a SH775 regulator but an alternative aftermarket series regulator from Compu-Fire part # 55402 as tested on an Aprilia. The results are thermal images of the temperature difference in the regulator and stator. This is just to demonstrate the reality of the theoretical efficiency gain from switching from shunt to series regulation.

Stock SCR shunt regulator stator temp:

Compu-Fire 55402 Series Regulator stator temp:

Stock SCR shunt regulator temp:

Compu-Fire 55402 Series Regulator temp:

The difference in stator temp will only be proportional to the amount of UNUSED energy the stator was generating, if you are actually using most or all of the output from the stator the regulation system is largely irrelevant. This could also be a part of the reason the 750 turbo's charging system has a better reputation, the electrical demands of the fuel pump and injection system do not exist in most of the other carbureted bikes so the amount of energy being shorted by the shunt regulator averaged is allot less relatively speaking.

Finally, this is the only reference I have found on this forum to a series regulator,

I had to re-wrap the stator to provide higher electric power output. This was
more power than the shunt voltage regulator could handle, so I designed
my own series-type switching regulator, which is much more efficient -
saves a full 1 horsepower at 10,000 RPM.

http://www.750turbo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5963&p=45867&hilit=series+regulator#p45867

There is also the benefit of the extra load on the stator from shorting it is also no longer a direct energy loss off the crank.

Wiring is straight forward as Tim has posted. Just take your time and fit it as you like.

Here is the best part when I cranked the bike up...and was floored..never saw more than 13.8 before and now I getting a whopping .....

84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Return to New Parts Resource