Anyone interested in a reproduction turbo tank??

Please use this forum to list NEW parts, with their price, supplier and location. NO DISCUSSION PLEASE!

Re: Anyone interested in a reproduction turbo tank??

Postby JezZedexE1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 pm

What about a kit for modifying an NA tank to have the necessary openings?
:thumbup

That would be a good alternative. A press tool formed underside rectangular panel (to match Turbo tank) so all that needs to be done is the rectangle shape cut out and replaced. A good welder should be able to do that and the inside of the tank can be treated while it is open. It might even be possible to do it without the rear mounting bracket being affected. :popcorn
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Eckhard wrote:Not trying to piss anyone off, just throwing around ideas. What about a kit for modifying an NA tank to have the necessary openings? May be cheaper than a Kevlar tank.

NA tank wont fit anyway. The frame is slightly different. Been there done that.
Last turbo tank from Kawi sold for near $1000. Now you see rusted out, dented garbage on ebay for $500.
I would rather overpay 100% for a new tank that has the full faith & credit of a 20yr old company than some bozo on an e flea market with 30yr old garbage thats going to need $500 worth of rehab to be usable.
Plus future enthusiasts/restorers have a viable replacement available to purchase.

As for originality... you can go ahead and debate that when you're pushing the bike across an auction block or competing in a show. However if you plan on riding the bike its a worthwhile investment.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Be interested to see a final cost on these. Be awesome to have a kevlar tank. :banana Over a thousand dollars, freight and the exchange rate might kill it for me though. Well done on trying to get one organised!There would have to be 15 people on the planet thet would buy one.
If a replica steel one or new bases to convert NA tanks came up I'm sure I would able justify the purchase of one simply because of the price difference.
Keep us posted.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Chris G » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Turboblew2 wrote:
Eckhard wrote:Not trying to piss anyone off, just throwing around ideas. What about a kit for modifying an NA tank to have the necessary openings? May be cheaper than a Kevlar tank.

NA tank wont fit anyway. The frame is slightly different. Been there done that.
Last turbo tank from Kawi sold for near $1000. Now you see rusted out, dented garbage on ebay for $500.
I would rather overpay 100% for a new tank that has the full faith & credit of a 20yr old company than some bozo on an e flea market with 30yr old garbage thats going to need $500 worth of rehab to be usable.
Plus future enthusiasts/restorers have a viable replacement available to purchase.

As for originality... you can go ahead and debate that when you're pushing the bike across an auction block or competing in a show. However if you plan on riding the bike its a worthwhile investment.

Now I know, I reckon I could turn round an NA to Turbo tank in a couple of hours including fitting a threaded boss for the fuel return. If desperate the tap can also be converted to gravity and the fuel level sender adapted.

But for all the points you highlight I see this as an effort of diminishing return, as for making a conversion kit or a press tool I would be sceptical on the value over doing it manually, can you image the jig you would need!

This was an effort a while back which is actually quiet easy - and the thread could be reduced to about 5 lines were it not so beer fuelled

Kevlar one would still be the dogs IMO
!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15536&p=150450&hilit=tank+tray#p150450
Chris G
Supporter

Postby antoniomota » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 pm

JezZedexE1 wrote:We can always hope against hope Kawasaki follows the other Japanese manufacturer who has started a classic parts division. I must admit, I do like their Turbo offering somewhat. :oops:

Hmm, I've been seeing some recent news in Japan (https://japan.webike.net newsletter)
regarding H*nd* making some parts for selected "classic" models. Can't say I was impressed
with the list of parts (just "simple" stuff, like carb needles, and such). Anyway, better than
nothing, I guess!

-A
antoniomota
Supporter

Postby JezZedexE1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 am

I was thinking of this.

https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/vintage-parts-programme/

Sorry for the bad language using the "S" word. :mrs :hammer :doh
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby VinoBassi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks turboblew2 to organizing this difficult project of making a run of turbo tank orders.Most of us may have spare tanks to our advantage of longevity for the life of the turbo.Most of us would have put tank liners giving clean fuel and internal rust free condition for many years.It's a debatable question whether to get it or not? :beer :thumbup
Little Guys Do Have Big Dreams Too!
VinoBassi
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Ok the fabricator said if we have 5 ready proceed... he will start fabrication.

So...
1. Turboblew2
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby antoniomota » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 pm

2. antoniomota
antoniomota
Supporter

Postby turbo-max » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:06 am

what did the price end up being so far?
Tampa,Fl U.S.A.
turbo-max

Postby Turboblew2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm

will be about $1050 plus freight for the first 5.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:04 am

Congrats... now the fabricator will not do any less than 10 and youll be on the hook for $1600 each... plus the ride.
Too bad. Unlucky for youse.... I scored 2 really nice gas tanks that need ZERO paint or prep.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby dazbo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 am

awww sucks :mad
dazbo
Supporter

Previous

Return to New Parts Resource