Anyone interested in a reproduction turbo tank??

Please use this forum to list NEW parts, with their price, supplier and location. NO DISCUSSION PLEASE!

Anyone interested in a reproduction turbo tank??

Postby Turboblew2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Ok so as there are no new fuel tanks available from Kawasaki anymore, These bikes have already breached the 30 year mark as well.
For those that still enjoying riding... this might be a viable option to continue to pile up the miles worry free.
I was looking to get a run of 10 units to start. So basically Im looking for 9 other people interested in purchasing at this point. However if we have more than 9 people interested...even better. :thumbup

I made the commitment to organize the initial buy in and then present the customers to the client to handle payment as well as provide the stock fuel tank to make a mould. Once the first run is done...future enthusiasts can purchase a repro fuel tank from the fabricator at their retail prices.

The tanks will be reproduced in kevlar with a primer finish thats ready to paint, and will be the stock dimensions/capacity. However once the initial moulds are made... there can be options for more capacity and modern fuel cap designs at a small upcharge. More than likely the repro tank will be lighter than stock by a few lbs as well.

I have been a customer of this company in the past. I got no special discount or consideration. Their products are worth the asking price(s) and they stand behind their products for life. I will also say the tank on my GSXR has be absolutely phenomenal. Even with the ethanol junk pump fuels. Also the tank guards for my R6 have been awesome...even crash tested it once. :thumbup

So now for the pricing. I was told the first run of tanks would be $1,150 each for a lot of 10. Shipping to your door is additional. If we have more interested enthusiasts then I'm sure we could get a better price.

Here is a link to their site and Kawasaki products. http://eti-fuelcel.com/KawasakiTriple.html

What do you think?
Turboblew2
Supporter

Re: Anyone interested in a reproduction turbo tank??

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:38 pm

wow...having a kevlar tank was something I so wanted to do when my engine blew 2 years ago because of the fuel tank debris getting in the petcock. Even after cleaning out another tank and sealing it I worried did I miss something I couldn't see with the lil camera?

How many would it take to get the price under a grand?? Sure its worth every dollar but we still have to come up with a lot of $$. Maybe I can use my Rooms to Go CC :humour
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby antoniomota » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Turboblew2 wrote:Im looking for 9 other people interested in purchasing at this point. However if we have more than 9 people interested...even better. :thumbup

Well, :thumbup for the reproduction of NLA parts (if quality is good, naturally).
In the end, we'll be depending on those; Kawasaki don't care for its old bikes...
I'm waiting for availability of the short mudguard, belly pan grill, etc.. So,
reproduction tank? count me in!

Regards.

-Antonio Mota
antoniomota
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Charlie @ Evergreen wrote:wow...having a kevlar tank was something I so wanted to do when my engine blew 2 years ago because of the fuel tank debris getting in the petcock. Even after cleaning out another tank and sealing it I worried did I miss something I couldn't see with the lil camera?

How many would it take to get the price under a grand?? Sure its worth every dollar but we still have to come up with a lot of $$. Maybe I can use my Rooms to Go CC :humour

I didnt really press on pricing because I was unsure of demand. Im sure if we presented an firm order of 15 that could get the price to $1000.
Even if I had to physically purchase 5 extras (after 10) to get the run done.

I havent setup a time line on this just yet... so no pressure.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm

antoniomota wrote:
Turboblew2 wrote:Im looking for 9 other people interested in purchasing at this point. However if we have more than 9 people interested...even better. :thumbup

Well, :thumbup for the reproduction of NLA parts (if quality is good, naturally).
In the end, we'll be depending on those; Kawasaki don't care for its old bikes...
I'm waiting for availability of the short mudguard, belly pan grill, etc.. So,
reproduction tank? count me in!

Regards.

-Antonio Mota

For the International enthusiasts... I could take bulk delivery and handle shipping from FL. My experience with the USPS overseas has been pretty good and reasonably priced. UPS is ungodly expensive. DHL might be an option. :thumbup
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby Chris G » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Count me in - I would swap a good spare for that innovation! :dribble:
I like the idea of a different cap, but to keep it simple for now, count me in a standard run - UK based.

Great idea :thumbup
Chris G
Supporter

Postby Chris G » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:12 pm

[quote="antoniomota"][quote="/quote]

I'm waiting for availability of the short mudguard, belly pan grill,

Youngblood has some perfect grills made - you cannot tell them from OE!
The belly pan is also prefabbed and is very good from the UK
The short rear guard should be available in a couple of weeks from the same outfit.

Sorry for the :hijack
Chris G
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 am

Thats good news on the mud guard! Heck I gotta save some $$ ..maybe quit drinking for a couple months :humour
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby JezZedexE1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 am

Just to mention something I was once told regarding supply and manufacture of Kawasaki parts. Not guaranteed to be the case though.

Once ten years has passed since a particular model has stopped rolling off the production line, the spares are then stopped and no longer produced. Unless of course the part is on a newer bike. So, for items specific to the turbo, as we all know parts are very few and far between. If like me you were buying parts around about the year 2000, there was a reasonable supply. Since then I have seen how availability has dived. Damn, why didn't I buy more bits. :roll:

We can always hope against hope Kawasaki follows the other Japanese manufacturer who has started a classic parts division. I must admit, I do like their Turbo offering somewhat. :oops:
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby Turboblew2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Jez... in the US I believe an OEM is only required to support a model for 7 years after production.
Then of course models that have a cult following are usually supported in the after market.
Usually with a few parts of love for the model and a few parts of capitalism.

I wouldnt expect an OEM to continually support a dwindling market segment. I was suprised as hell when their new H2 display included the old GPz turbo as a benchmark. That was super cool.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Postby Deerslayer64d » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Charlie @ Evergreen wrote:Thats good news on the mud guard! Heck I gotta save some $$ ..maybe quit drinking for a couple months :humour

Who you kidding :humour
85/750turbo
08/F-350twin turbo 6.4
06/F-350 turbo 6.0
Deerslayer64d
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm

:rofl: yup..heading out now for a bash tonight! :banana Mudguard on my mind :popcorn
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby Deerslayer64d » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am

:victory
85/750turbo
08/F-350twin turbo 6.4
06/F-350 turbo 6.0
Deerslayer64d
Supporter

Postby Eckhard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 am

Not trying to piss anyone off, just throwing around ideas. What about a kit for modifying an NA tank to have the necessary openings? May be cheaper than a Kevlar tank.
Last edited by Eckhard on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eckhard

A garage full of old bikes and no time. Spend too much time on the Internet!!!
Eckhard
Supporter

Postby Eckhard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:02 am

Also, perhaps there is someone who would make up metal tanks for that price. Have a look at this ebay listing for a new metal tank. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GAS-TANK-Triumph-Bonneville-TR6-T120-2-5-gallons-1963-to-1970-/381964596929
Eckhard

A garage full of old bikes and no time. Spend too much time on the Internet!!!
Eckhard
Supporter

Next

Return to New Parts Resource