Going to try a set of radial tires

How to make an old bike handle like a new (factory) one!
Stratowart

Going to try a set of radial tires

Post by Stratowart »

Unfortunately when I stopped riding my 1984 GPZ750 Turbo over 15 years ago I had just put on a brand new front tire (as evidenced by the tiny hairs protruding out of the rubber tread area). The back tire was old and with cracked sidewalls.

I’ve ALWAYS had bias ply tires on it throughout my 35,000 miles of enjoyment on it.

I ordered a matched set of Continental Attack-3’s in the OEM sizes: 110/90-18 front and 130/80-18 rear.

Next is to make it legal by insuring it and to get it registered and take her out to the road and see what I think....
Live your life like there is no tomorrow, just don't fuck mine up while your doing it.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Re: Going to try a set of radial tires

Post by Turboblew2 »

biggest issue is if your suspension isnt "fresh". Especially with a stock rear shock.
Radials are stiffer and thats not even getting into compounds & pressures.
Stratowart

Post by Stratowart »

Probably because I haven't ridden this bike for the last 15 years I can't report about any differences between the bias ply tires and the new set of radials I just put on.

I was out on the bike today getting reacquainted with it and totally enjoyed the feel of the radials, especially in the twisties.
Live your life like there is no tomorrow, just don't fuck mine up while your doing it.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

Turboblew2 wrote:biggest issue is if your suspension isnt "fresh". Especially with a stock rear shock.
Radials are stiffer and thats not even getting into compounds & pressures.
That's a very good point.
Had numerous customers over the years complain that the new tyres we fitted to their bike were shit. what had happened was they had some crumby brand OEM tyres & when the recommended radials were fitted they handled like crap because they had suspension or other issues that didn't show up with the old tyres.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Turboblew2
Supporter

Post by Turboblew2 »

Betterthanfabio wrote: That's a very good point.
Had numerous customers over the years complain that the new tyres we fitted to their bike were shit. what had happened was they had some crumby brand OEM tyres & when the recommended radials were fitted they handled like crap because they had suspension or other issues that didn't show up with the old tyres.
yeah its a whole thing. Easiest way to address it is in terms of "systems". Im going to go out on a limb and say that 100% of turbos ridden are not using the outter 20mm of tire more like the inner 60mm. So saying X brand works better than Y brand is irrelevant. Sidewall is a HUGE thing on these older bikes and it cracks me up when I see bikes with 60 or 70 aspect ratio tires fitted. Congrats... now you can't feel what the tires trying to tell you IF you happen to get to the edge. It looks cool though. :?
Then there is the pressure issue. Im guilty of it so I know without a doubt that others are. Bikes been sitting, you fire it up...ride down the street. Did you put a pressure gauge on them? Nope? Would make a great pre ride flow chart. :mrgreen: Is your gauge bench marked? Like my buddy trying to get into critical pressure territory on his race bike with a $5 auto parts store gauge. I lent him mine that was 40x the cost... low & behold what did he find? The 25psi he was shooting for was showing 13 on my calibrated unit. His miser behind tossed that gauge 30yds and he bought a proper unit. In this case a $1 pencil type is fairly accurate... at least in the 85% range or better. Most tire shops have a master gauge in which you can bench mark your personal one against. Make a chart and the pressures you use most often then check. Add a + or - from what the master is reading. If @30psi yours reads 31...note it +1. @40psi it reads 43... note +3
billybluesky1

Post by billybluesky1 »

any feedback ?
Since its 18months ago you were fitting the radials , I was wondering if you had any thoughts on them