Fork spring length confusion

How to make an old bike handle like a new (factory) one!

Fork spring length confusion

Postby JezZedexE1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:03 am

I am trying to find out the length of the stock springs! :help All the posts here have different info and seem to have aftermarket sizes but no mention of original ones.

I have 4 pairs of 530mm long springs. I presume that is the stock size. The dimensions for replacement springs I have managed to search out here vary from 460mm up. Then with a spacer of 36mm or so. Vino had 500mm springs he took out. Could they have been NA springs?

This is also mentioned:
free length 460mm, plus a 36mm spacer on top. Installed height including the spacer is 470mm.

How does 460 + 36 = 470? :?

:popcorn
:beer
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Re: Fork spring length confusion

Postby DEATH_INC. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am

JezZedexE1 wrote:I am trying to find out the length of the stock springs! :help All the posts here have different info and seem to have aftermarket sizes but no mention of original ones.

I have 4 pairs of 530mm long springs. I presume that is the stock size. The dimensions for replacement springs I have managed to search out here vary from 460mm up. Then with a spacer of 36mm or so. Vino had 500mm springs he took out. Could they have been NA springs?

This is also mentioned:
free length 460mm, plus a 36mm spacer on top. Installed height including the spacer is 470mm.

How does 460 + 36 = 470? :?

:popcorn
:beer

I'd suspect they have 26mm of preload.
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
DEATH_INC.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Return to Handling & Suspension