Tires

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: Tires

Post by longfiredragon »

You will be absolutely fine on radial tires on your stock suspension. All radials are going to do is give you a 💯% better ride.

If your shooting for keeping the bike vintage I understand and it's all good by me.

Bias ply tires though are like riding on flat marshmallows. There's a reason vehicles/motorcycles don't come with flat marshmallow tires today.

Ride your Avon's until there done. Then give radials a try. It's one of the best things you will ever do to enhance your riding on the old girl. Words can't explain it, but will try this. Night and day difference in every aspect. Longevity, handling, breaking everything. Not to mention high speed performance.
vr1203

Post by vr1203 »

longfiredragon wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:44 pm You will be absolutely fine on radial tires on your stock suspension. All radials are going to do is give you a 💯% better ride.

If your shooting for keeping the bike vintage I understand and it's all good by me.

Bias ply tires though are like riding on flat marshmallows. There's a reason vehicles/motorcycles don't come with flat marshmallow tires today.

Ride your Avon's until there done. Then give radials a try. It's one of the best things you will ever do to enhance your riding on the old girl. Words can't explain it, but will try this. Night and day difference in every aspect. Longevity, handling, breaking everything. Not to mention high speed performance.
thanks (would have been nice to hear a definite beforehand , searching for ideas just got confusing/conflicting opinions ,like oil selections :roll:
) I doubt I will wear these tires anytime soon!
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

All good brother.

I did chime in on the first page and recommended radials?

Anyway, not sure how far you are from putting the old girl on the road. You can figure on about half the milage on the bias ply. When my bike first got done I ran two sets of pirelli
Sport demons. About 1,500 to 2,000 miles out of the back tire that's it.

I built my bike to ride. If this is the case for you I highly recommend two mod.s if you do nothing else.

1) radial tires.
2) 530 chain conversion, with an aluminum rear sprocket.

These two mods alone will make the old girl ride unbelievably smoother.

Cheers.
DCrow4016

Post by DCrow4016 »

Any particular radial tire you would recommend in the oem sizes ? Most of the searches I do only bring up bias ply in stock sizes ?
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

Sorry, for the delayed reply. I don't get on here as much as I would like these days.

I ran the battlax BT54s. Little history. When Hon$@ manufactured their retro throw back of the 1100 in around 2014, or so they wanted to stick with what would be the correct size tires used back in the day (Like the turbo)

So they commissioned Bridgestone to make matching 18" tires for it. Which just happened to be the exact size needed for the turbo.

I checked for you about a month ago and both front and rear we're still available new.

I ran a bran new set at the turbo rally in Tennessee in 2016. There not a hyper sport tire, but I think that's all your may find out there. They are however a far cry better than any bias ply.

I haven't looked for any other tires recently other than the BT54 because I have swapped both wheels to newer, lighter 17" wheels and now run only top tier hyper sport tires.

The only issue you may run into is radials have so much less friction on the ground I had to tighten my head bearings a little.

Cheers :thumbup
philippe

Post by philippe »

DCrow4016 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:29 pm Any particular radial tire you would recommend in the oem sizes ? Most of the searches I do only bring up bias ply in stock sizes ?
Hello I am in the process of changing the tires of the kawa
I can't find any
radial tires!
what have you mounted on your bike
philippe

Post by philippe »

vr1203 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:21 pm I was under the impression that radials on a stock suspended bike would not be a good combination. So I bought a set of Avon Roadriders, had good luck with them. Another thing they are made in England and the EBC rotors are too, So the turbo bike will fit well with my Norton! :beer 02-2024-10-113048-IMG_1802sm.jpg
a priori the avon rockrider mk2 are not radials!
DCrow4016

Post by DCrow4016 »

philippe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:46 pm
DCrow4016 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:29 pm Any particular radial tire you would recommend in the oem sizes ? Most of the searches I do only bring up bias ply in stock sizes ?
Hello I am in the process of changing the tires of the kawa
I can't find any
radial tires!
what have you mounted on your bike
I haven't done anything yet . Still working on engine etc.. I am not having much luck finding radials in stock sizes so I will probably end up with bias ply tires
philippe

Post by philippe »

effectivement je rien trouvé en radial ! jai pris les BT46