Acceleration stutter

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way
ukblade

Acceleration stutter

Post by ukblade »

Hi,

My bike will run superb when just pottering around or even 8/10ths riding but if I accelerate from a standstill with a WOT when it gets to around 6k it starts to stutter as though it's running out of fuel, if I back off and continue riding normally it's absolutely fine.
It has never thrown up a DFI code when this happens.
It has done it an odd time when say cruising at 60 then crack the throttle open to go to overtake it cuts out for a millisecond, stutters and throws up a engine temp sensor code but it doesn't do it all the time, just rarely.
I think I will have to fit an inline fuel pressure gauge to see what's happening but I thought it would throw a low fuel pressure error code but it never has.

Thanks
Mark.
ray750t

Re: Acceleration stutter

Post by ray750t »

ukblade wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:53 am Hi,

My bike will run superb when just pottering around or even 8/10ths riding but if I accelerate from a standstill with a WOT when it gets to around 6k it starts to stutter as though it's running out of fuel, if I back off and continue riding normally it's absolutely fine.
It has never thrown up a DFI code when this happens.
It has done it an odd time when say cruising at 60 then crack the throttle open to go to overtake it cuts out for a millisecond, stutters and throws up a engine temp sensor code but it doesn't do it all the time, just rarely.
I think I will have to fit an inline fuel pressure gauge to see what's happening but I thought it would throw a low fuel pressure error code but it never has.

Thanks
Mark.
Sounds like fuel starvation , check and clean injectors , fuel filters in petcock snd and pump - has tps been adjusted ?
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

Check the side stand switch, mine did this for a while. Side stand switch was on it's way out. Just pull it a part and dead end it into itself with a loop. Then ride and see if it stops.

Can't use a meter on it because it will most likely test good. It malfunctions under vibration. Threw me off for a while.
capt42104
Supporter

Post by capt42104 »

Hey there!

Shortly after restoring my E2 in '18ish I had the exact same problem after about 10 miles of riding. Recalling a similar thing happen in the late 80s with my E1 after it had sat a year, I took a shot and opened the fuel cap. At first it wouldn't open until I really pulled on the key! Turns out it was the fuel cap was not venting and I was getting a vacuum in the tank, thus fuel starvation. Once I popped the cap, problem fixed. My E2 cap was so corroded from it sitting 30+ years I ended up replacing it with NOS.

Prior to this, I had stumbling issues, sync problems, and erratic idle and that was the intake rubbers were micro cracked.

Good luck!
Current steeds:1985 Kawasaki GPz750-E2 (favorite!), 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R (desert bug out bike), 2017 BMW R1200GSA (camping trip anyone?), 2020 BMW S1000RR (yes, I have an addiction!) Previous steeds: Too many to list!
750turboguy
Supporter

Post by 750turboguy »

Replace the fuel filter. It may look okay but its a simple thing to replace.
TURBO TED UK
Intercooler

Post by TURBO TED UK »

Engine temp sensor, mine did exactly the same for years until it packed up completely. Swapped engine temp sensor for another good one and never had the issue again.