intermittent electrical fault

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way
nzflyingKiwi

intermittent electrical fault

Post by nzflyingKiwi »

I have an 84 turbo that we are building for a nz landspeed record attempt. i have been chasing an intermittent straight to earth fault for over a year and have finally found the issue which i want to share, At random the bike would suddenly run very very rich and then stop, all 4 spark plugs fouled and it just would not start again, i have actually pushed this bike further than i have ridden it.
we worked out that is was a earth on the fuel injection computer that controls all the engine sensors, the TPS would go haywire, then the temp sensor, it was totally at random and very unpredictable to ride.
after a full strip down on the loom we found the fault, the large connector that plugs into the fuel computer under the seat contains numerous tiny pins that open up to accept the male connector, one of these pins was broken and it was only obvious if you look very closely, we replaced the pin and the fault disappeared, my message to other 750 owners is be very careful when you separate this connector and only separate it you you must, all the components are nearly 40 years old and are getting fragile, i really hope this helps someone enjoy their Turbo more.. cheers flying Kiwi Phil
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Re: intermittent electrical fault

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

wow that is very good information and bet there are few chasing this issue we thought was a ghost....ghost found! Nice work ! :beer
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Mang
Supporter

Re: intermittent electrical fault

Post by Mang »

A similar issue caused me to buy a new harness which fixed the problem but I never really found the fault.
E2 Standard
E2 810 Anything but Standard
Triumph Tiger 800 Road Weary
Yamaha FZR400RR3TJ Minter