New problem

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way

Re: New problem

Postby Loudviking » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:17 am

Not laughing buddy(okay maybe a little)but at lest you are getting somewhere! :thumbup
Loudviking

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:10 am

It's all good, I had to laugh a little myself. Have no clue why the fuel gauge reads differently now other than it is just old and may need a good cleaning. Yesterday it pissed down rain all day so I went to the gas station and got as gallon of 93 in a gas can, and put that in the tank. Switched the petcock to the on position and she fired up no problem and ran ok. Once warm quick throttle blips were ok but slow steady rise in the throttle was not so much. It wanted to be glitchy and not smooth up until around the 4 and 5 K RPM range. So I turned the FPR all the way in, and then backed it out to around where it was. Fired it up and adjusted until I got what I wanted on the AFR meter and it seemed better.

Filled up this morning with a fresh tank of 93 and she ran perfect for the 12 or so miles coming into work the long way. Smooth, nice, precise throttle on fast and slow steady throttle movements. Full open full boost was perfect. Did not glitch or hesitate one time :rock

It is a little rich. So next on the agenda is to pull the O2 sensor and clean it, and re-adjust until I am in the happy spot I want. I am not going to say it is fixed, but maybe the work on the positive wire, grounds and what not was the right place finally. Fingers crossed. I will post some pictures of the positive wires and grounds later and give you guys something to really laugh about.

Cheers
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:56 am

Well one thing for sure it was fuel related like we talked about! No fuel in filter you mentioned good hint. Boost on! :clap
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestions C. Pete I know how you feel about the V Twins, I owned 1, no more for me unless I get rich one day and I buy a 2 up machine for the wife and I, it might be a V Twin. But if that happens I am going to absolutely refuse to work on it. :rofl:
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm

Well it has ran perfect 2 times in a row, not sure how to act. :rofl: Still not going to say its fixed. All of the positive wires were corroded. The corrosion started at the battery lug and worked its way back. Good thing is none of the wires were corroded beyond the bullet connections. I stripped them back and they were ok. The main ground I replaced years back. The 2 little ones I did not. One was really bad and would not come apart, the other one wasn't too bad. But I replaced them both. And again they were ok going back into the harness past the bullet connectors. This is totally on me, should have done it sooner. Oh well, done now. A few shots of the old and new.
Attachments
20200921_130724.jpg
20200921_130724.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 313 times
20200921_130743.jpg
20200921_130743.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 313 times
20200921_130758.jpg
20200921_130758.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 313 times
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Turbo Pete » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Geeze mate, that sweaty weather you guys have really takes its toll! The most i see here is just a bit of green on the connections. Hope it fixes the issues for you.
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem.
Turbo Pete
Supporter

Postby Mang » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm

If you want to see real rot send your bike to Bonneville run it in on the salt for a week and then bring it back sea freight in a leaky container. our wiring harness just rotted and stopped working. I think I posted some images somewhere.

Doesn't stop me wanting to go back though.
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:25 pm

That's funny Mang, but not funny. I get it, that's why people down here tend to shy away from buying used cars from up North because the salt they put on the roads in the winter to melt the snow just rips the cars a new one.

Here is another story about that nasty ass salt. My wife and I built our house 17 years ago with a pool, and a screened enclosure. My pool uses chlorine, but with a nature 2 cartridge so I only use 2, 3" tabs a week to keep the PH set. My brother in-law who does well for himself built a huge really nice pool about 6 years ago. I tried to warn him not to go with the salt setup, but being an engineer with a masters degree he sometimes tends to not listen. :wanker

He let the pool MFG talk him into the salt setup. My aluminum enclosure is still in pretty good shape and I have not had to replace a single piece of the beams. His is about 6 years old and all his aluminum beams are really tore up and needing replacement.

Can't do a whole lot about the salt on flats unless you could maybe wash the bike at the end of the day. But I wonder if you got some big descant containers and put them in the ships leaky ass container if that would help with the across the pond voyage. Could soak up a lot of the moisture.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:15 am

Told you I wasn't going to say anything about it being fixed. The cutting out I believe is fixed, but, wait for it, there is always another F@(KING but with my bike.

Now it has an off idle stumble. (Which it has never had) If I roll the throttle very slowly it stumbles off idle and it will stumble up to around 2K RPM then it seems fine, but maybe it's just cause the RPMS are higher so you don't notice anything. Once it is warm I can pop the throttle and it settles in and idles fine, pop it again and it stumbles and barely idles and the AFR gage reads lean between 15 and 16. Pop it again and it idles fine, and the AFR reads 13.9 it will just keep doing this off and on. Full throttle seems fine, except now when I let off the throttle at high RPM it pops back through the exhaust bad, which it never has done before. I played with the FPR and richened it up a little and it seems better, but still does it at high RPM.

Now nothing on this motor is the same as when the motor blew up. Except the intake boots on the head, the throttle bodies, and the FPR. I say this because it seems like maybe there is a lean condition being introduced off and on at idle, and at high RPMS when I let off the throttle causing the popping through the exhaust.

I am going to try changing the FPR, I can change the intake boots on the head, but looking at the parts manual there is only 1 oring on the throttle bodies and that's the one behind the TPS and I know it is in there. Does anybody know can the throttle bodies be bad and leak somehow? Next will be to take it out to the woods and put my AK, and 12 gauge on it until there is nothing left. :mad
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby dazbo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:17 am

did you previously not have race mode enabled and now you do?
one of the changes race mode makes is to keep the fuel injection running during engine braking as opposed to disabling it in normal mode. this may explain your popping.
i usually find that if rolling the throttle on VERY slowly causes an off idle stumble then the best fix is to stop rolling the throttle on VERY slowly and ride it properly :popcorn :popcorn :beer :popcorn
dazbo
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks daz, you made me laugh. Race mode has always been enabled. I did put a bullet connector on the brown wire though to make it easier when you want to plug it back in, so I will check it and make sure everything is good.

I do ride my bike pretty hard and got no problem taking it out and hammer it. It's the lean issue that bothers me. If it blows up again I can't answer as to what I will do with it after that. Cheers.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby riturbo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Boy it never ends .Keep at it you will figure it out . For the price of amo these days will be cheaper to fix it .
riturbo
Supporter

Postby dazbo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:10 am

dont take what im about to say as gospel ,as i dont want to be responsible for any failures but...
in my opinion , you dont need to be worried about lean conditions around idle or when you let off the throttle and are engine braking.
if you disabled race mode ,during engine braking, i guess you would see a super weak indication of afr as injection events are stopped. and thats ok.
Around idle there is no real load on the engine so as long as it idles the way you like it can be as weak or rich as it takes to make it run and pick up well.
The likelyhood of causing harm to your engine due to a lean condition occurs under high load conditions ,specifically around peak torque where volumetric efficiency is at its highest as are peak cylinder pressures.
so you can sit at 14/15 afr at cruise at 6000rpm quite safely as long as when you accelerate and it boosts the afr is closer to 12/13(pick your own target :thumbup )
so as long as your afr is good when on boost i dont think you have much if anything to worry about. :beer
dazbo
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Thanks Guys

Your probably right riturbo, I should probably save the few thousand rounds I have on more important things like burglars and such. :rofl: I hear what your saying daz, and based on my limited knowledge I would agree with you. I will figure it out eventually. Right now when it is stumbling at idle it is only taching 7, 800 RPM though, so I just rap the throttle once or twice and it comes up to the 1,150, it's supposed to be at.

Riding around the AFR is reading usually between 12.3 to 13.9 which is about where I like it. At full throttle it is (And of course it is hard to monitor as things are going by at warp speed and things in front of you are coming up fast) but AFR is around high 11s low 12s again about where I like it and I think it should be. Occasionally you will see it bump into the high 10s when the boost first hits.

Speaking of that, this morning coming to work, I rounding one of the right hand hairpin corners in 2nd gear. Coming out of the corner I gave her about 3/4 throttle and when she came under full boost she picked up the front end and carried a really nice wheelie all the way out and sat the front tire down nice and easy. You would of thought I knew what I was doing :rofl: Full throttle in 2nd gear scares the shit out of me cause it fells like she is going to come all the way over :finger: She is going to pull the front tire off the ground in 2nd almost every time. Just working on a little control so I don't kill myself or the bike.

Will advise if I figure anything out. Cheers!
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:11 am

Hello again all. Now 5 months in to this and nothing is fixed. Rode the bike almost a month after fixing the grounds and positive wire, and getting the new tire on. Ran good no breaking up. But was fighting the idle issue. I have done so much I had to start a log book so I can remember what the hell of done. See if I can remember where to start. Biketoberfest over 200 miles bike never broke up even one time, and I was in it a lot. We did 110 plus the whole back. Still had the idle issue, but when it is cold, or has sat for 15 to 30 min. Or so. Last week I was checking out the fuel filter and it looked empty and I couldn't see any fuel flowing thru it. Bought some new fuel line and vacuum line to replace the FPR. Upon removal of the filter it turns out that it was completely full of fuel. I have never seen one full like that. Also, and this is strange it was swollen at the bottom. WTF :wanker so anyway I replaced the FPR and the filter and she fired up, fuel flowing like it should and seemed to be better. But not! When it is cold I have to use the fast idle switch, if not she will just die. When fully hot now she idles really nice, dead on and just eats up pavement without missing a beat. Shut if off for 30 min. And it runs like shit, and will not idle. Get her hot and idle perfect. After changing the FPR the AFR gage is more consistent and the idle is more consistent than it ever has been. Don't know if the breaking up is related or what. I cleaned both handlebar switches the other day also. Yesterday coming back from the pool store,1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th just crazy fast, pulls so hard like a freight train. Turn the fricken corner and hammer 3rd, and breaking up above 7K after just flying thru 4 gears perfect. And now, and now, and now :wanker I am just like this green little wanker dud. I have no idea where to go. I want to move forward on the front end swap but why? It won't run right so why does it matter what front end is on it. And yes, thoughts of just parting ways and trade her in on something newer are there. Of course that won't work cause no one will take her. I don't know, I just want to park her now. I have no enthusiasm to really touch her at the moment. My issue is I still enjoy riding, but I need a bike to do that not one that won't run right at least most of the time instead of the other way around. Ok, I'm done.
longfiredragon
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance & Restoration