Re: New problem

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:38 am

:thumbup
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am

Hello all

Well the bike has progressed to completely unridable. Two weeks ago I road it and it spit and sputtered at 4, 5K RPM. I tried to ride to work this morning just to ride with my new seat and see if it ran any different. I didn't make it an 1/8 of a mile and it was breaking up at low RPM. I coasted down the overpass and it ran like it was fuel starved. AFR Meter went to 24 and fuel pressure dropped to 25 PSI, and yes there is fuel in it. It basically was wanting to die. I slowed and flipped a U turn all the while blipping the throttle to keep her running. At idle it started fine and the AFR and fuel gauge would return to normal. As soon as I try to give her gas, back to high AFR readings and low fuel readings. I barley limped her home. No codes, don't remember seeing the DFI flashing at me, in fact I have never seen the DFI flash at me. Things I have done thus far.

New fuel filter
Removed the tank and took the petcock off and cleaned it. It was spotless, found nothing in it. And cleaned and inspected the check valve.
Inspected inside the tank for floaties best I could, never saw anything.
Cleaned the side stand switch
Checked random plugs connections, tried to make sure they were all good. (Grounds are all new)
Checked coil connections, coils are just a few years old, Dyna 2.2 grays, new Taylor wires.
Replaced the main relay inside the fuse box.
Replaced the spark plugs.
Replaced the fuel injection relay.
Replaced the voltage regulator
Battery replaced about a year ago.
The replacement of some of the electronics I did just because I was running the ORG 36 year old electronics and had been wanting to change stuff to new.

Next on the list is the replacement of the positive wire on the battery. It is original and has some visible corrosion. I know I probably should have replaced it sooner but everything up to now has always worked fine. Plus I was waiting on the new bracket for the boost sensor and fuel injection relay and I was going to do the Pos. wire at the same time.
Maybe the fuel pump is shutting down because of the Pos. connection being bad, or just a bad connection to the pump, or possible a bad pump, although it is not that old.

Not sure where to go. Just keep tinkering, dig into the book and run some tests.

Did have a couple questions if anyone knows. Will a bad connection on the Pos. wire cause my symptoms? I am leaning to this because when I squeeze on the front brake my headlight dims a little?
I don't think it is the alternator because my battery would die and I know these bikes need a certain amount of voltage to run. Maybe it is going bad? I just replaced the voltage regulator and when checking on the Tach. I have a little better reading than I did with the old one.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. :rofl:
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Well looks like your getting somewhere. Now its totally fckd hopefully itll b easier to find the problem instead of being intermittent.
Couldnt possibly be a corroded battery lead. That'd be too easy. Without making me read all this again to find out is it the original fuel pump or Walbro replacement I'm thinking my fuel pump was being intermittent years ago & killing it & after it was replaced never had a fuel issue again. Just another point my bike with the larger injectors is running at under 30Lb's.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Betterthanfabio wrote:Well looks like your getting somewhere. Now its totally fckd hopefully itll b easier to find the problem instead of being intermittent.
Couldnt possibly be a corroded battery lead. That'd be too easy. Without making me read all this again to find out is it the original fuel pump or Walbro replacement I'm thinking my fuel pump was being intermittent years ago & killing it & after it was replaced never had a fuel issue again. Just another point my bike with the larger injectors is running at under 30Lb's. I wouldnt be surprised if its fuel pump would be pretty lean at 25lb
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks Fabio

I am going with the battery issue first. The POS wire is visibly corroded. Not the terminal, but the wire itself where it is soldered. I have a feeling that when I get into it, it is going to be really bad underneath the sheath.

The last couple years every time I look at it I tell myself I need to replace it (My bad) I have not ruled out the FPR but the new one I can't get right yet, but it is being replaced regardless. Just want new stuff, you know. I have not ruled out the fuel pump either. The one I have is not the Walbro or the original. I did replace it,and it was new when I put the bike on the road 6 or so years ago. I honestly don't remember the MGF but I know it was rated correctly and it has always worked fine. It also was not a knock off, it was a name brand just can't remember the name. This is not to say it hasn't gone bad but I will work my way towards it if the issue persist after the POS wire is replaced and I will go from there.

I went back out of curiosity to see if I ever listed what fuel pump I used, couldn't find it. Then I put "fuel pump" in the search bar and 2777 posts came up. :rofl: Be quicker to pull the bike apart and see what pump I used.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Turbo Pete » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Maybe the gremlin is in the wiring harness? Or connectors? It could even be a broken wire mid way, almost impossible to find.
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem.
Turbo Pete
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:35 pm

Pete, could be but I hope your wrong. I have had enough nightmares with this bike.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Turbo Pete » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:10 pm

I hear you mate. This is on my stock bike with 92,000klms on it. My friend ( auto electrician) continually said to me, nah its not the starter, its the battery, the battery is dying, put in a new battery. So I did. I must admit it started and ran better than it had for months and I thought maybe he was right! After it had warmed up nicely, I turned it off and started it half a dozen times, no problem! Came back 30 mins later, just click, no turning of the starter again! So my mate finally came over on Saturday and checked it out and said, wow, hey, it is the starter! Fuck I hate it when I'm right!
I knew I was on borrowed time with it when I put new brushes in it, but now its pretty cooked.
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem.
Turbo Pete
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 am

I know that feeling Pete. Maybe your re-wind shop can hook you up with a decent price. Here you can get a new / rebuilt starter for $150 with a core exchange, $250 without the core. So if the re-wind shop comes in anywhere around the $100 mark give or take you may be doing good.

I have all the stuff to make my new positive wire except the time. I will be kicking myself in the ass if it turns out to be the issue. I had a speed perk at Advance Auto so the terminal lugs cost me 52 cents, everything else I already have. I should have done it years ago, no excuses.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Hey all.
So I replaced the complete positive wire. All 4 of them. I replaced the 2 ground connections out of the harnesses where there supposed to connect with bullet connectors. They were corroded some. Cleaned the fuel pump connections, checked the CPU connector, checked the the fuse box connections and cleaned all of them with elec. Cleaner. When I first tried to start it, it started, ran like shit AFR high, barly idles and as soon as I touched the throttle it immediately dies. It did this 3 times. Now it wont restart and idle at all. Checked for a code with the brown wire hooked up. Nothing. Brown wire not hooked up, it throws what it should, race mode code. Re-hooked the brown wire, nothing. I know these CPUs can go bad and not throw a code. Anyone experience this? Open to suggestions. Leaning toward the CPU possible. Just so happens Lorcan is selling his if someone doesn't beat me to it.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Loudviking » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:28 pm

Just thought of something................
Check your TPS(clean it with electrical cleaner) then loosen your 2 screws and play with it a little...........
Loudviking

Postby longfiredragon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:15 am

Thank you for the suggestion. Earlier in this post the TPS was one of the first things I tried. I cleaned the one several times, and I have another one that is damaged but works so I swapped them. Did nothing.

Thanks.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:13 am

Maybe someone could loan you a comp & an ignitor box just so you can hopefully eliminate them as a problem. Do you have a spare set of ign pickups? The way this is going it might be a case of replacing components to find out what it is /isnt.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Agreed Fabio, I was talking to Charlie about going in that direction. However, and nobody laugh cause its not my fault. I have been riding this bike for almost 6 years, my fuel gage has always read the same. In fact I have never hit reserve even once because I know when the last bar starts blinking I have riden 15, 20 miles and still never hit reserve. Well guess what, the last bar is still not blinking and it is out of fuel with the petcock in the on position. :mad did a few checks, switched it to reserve, boom fired right up. SON OF A BITCH. So i either take it out of the tank and make it read better or get used to where it now reads and how much fuel I have. Meanwhile I am still not sure if I fixed the original issue. Can't ride today it is going to be pissing down rain the rest of the day and it has been almost non stop all morning already. Once I get some more fuel in it I will advise if I fixed the original issue with all the other work i did. Thanks.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Turbo Pete » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Ha ha ha ha, I'm laughing because it happens to me all too often mate! Pissing around in the shed working on the bikes. Just did a carb overhaul on my wifes virago 1000, got it all together ( stupid shit cunt of an idea carbs on a v twin, what a pain in the arse to fit) got it running and warmed up, started tuning the idle mix, drops a cylinder! Fkn lump of v twin shit. Put new plugs in, fires up again, runs a bit longer and dies! I'm thinking wtf! But before i put the hammer through the block i thought i had better put more fuel in and see. Bomb da la bing, running again! Ready for cold start test today to see if i fixed its over fuelling issue.
Turbo Pete
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance & Restoration