SEALEY MC401 HYDRAULIC LIFT STUCK

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way

SEALEY MC401 HYDRAULIC LIFT STUCK

Postby Kawadoodle » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:58 pm

My bike has been stored on this lift over winter. Don't laugh but the pump won't release and it's stuck in the frigging air. Any ideas how I can release it to get it down safely?
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Re: SEALEY MC401 HYDRAULIC LIFT STUCK

Postby ptremb » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:33 pm

can you get it to go up any? if not I would recommend to open the plug and add about 4 oz of light oil (like atf or p/s fluid) to the resivoir than give it a few pumps to get it off the stops than you should be able to get it down.
ptremb

Postby Kawadoodle » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:00 pm

I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Postby JezZedexE1 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:43 am

Spray a bit of release agent into the places that move or pivot & onto the ram.
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:58 am

I dont know anything about them but maybe some heat? Not like a blow torch or anything but maybe a heater sat well back just to get the oil warm? Tell me if I'm talking shit I can take it! :D
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby dazbo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:51 am

i now its a daft suggestion but you havn't forgotten to remove the metal stay arms before trying to lower it??
dazbo
Supporter

Postby Kawadoodle » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:29 pm

Tried everything....it's lost no oil. I suspect all the fluid has gone to the other side of the seal on the ram and can't return. Because there is so much bulk of metal it dissapates quicker than a heat gun can deliver. I'll probably try as long duration with a fan heater. I'm not as I considered about the pump as I will replace it but to do so I can't do it with a bike on the lift, it looks as though the lift needs considerable dismantling to remove it ! If I had another lift I could roll the bike across. To be honest the lift is a shit design to have to consider this. I will contact the manufacturer technical team to see what they suggest...it's only six years old and although out of warranty it's not an acceptable mode for the pump to fail in...
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Postby samspoons » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:50 am

Could, you drill a hole in the pump body to release pressure. CAUTION make sure stops are in place so lift does not drop suddenly. Then get some car 2 tonne trolley jacks with packing blocks and try lower off slowly.
samspoons
Supporter

Postby JezZedexE1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 am

THIS MAY NOT BE CORRECT ADVICE, JUST MY THOUGHTS. DO NOT TRY IF IT IS BOLLOCKS INFO.

Make sure the whole thing is braced and supported so it CANNOT drop. Looking at some images on the internet it looks to me like there are 2 screws, which possibly are filling/draining plugs for maintenance/repair. Very carefully loosen one. If nothing, try the other. If you can release pressure on the ram, you may be able to find a way to get it working again. If not repair, it will enable you to replace it :popcorn
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby batpooh » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:03 pm

This happened to mine luckily I have a hoist so i could lift the bike off, mine is a mc365 but probably has the same basic structure, once I had released the bike i felt more confident to eyeball the mechanism the release lever just press's onto the spring loaded bit on the ram but when i was depressing the lever the little valve shaft was not popping out so in the best tradition I gave it twat with a hammer and out it popped dropped like a stone and nearly chopped my frigging arm off :wanker be careful!!!
batpooh
Supporter

Postby Kawadoodle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm

The stand has the safety bar in. I've given the pump a few taps but no joy. Tomorrow I'm going to warm the pump housing and tap it again. If it still continues then I reckon perhaps cutting the pump out and get perhaps four strong people to lift the table off it's stops and gently lower it to the ground.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Postby Eckhard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Best leave it on the stops and repair/replace the pump and use it. Fingers don't grow back that well nor do ruptured disks.
Eckhard

A garage full of old bikes and no time. Spend too much time on the Internet!!!
Eckhard
Supporter

Postby Kawadoodle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am

The pump can't be replaced until the bike is removed as the lift framework has to be dismantled to get it out.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Postby batpooh » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:43 am

post a couple of photos of the ram particularly the release mechanism and what it operates on the ram, maybe a video i'm sure we can come up with a solution to this with the bike still up there :thumbup
batpooh
Supporter

Postby Kawadoodle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for help. I took the suggestion of drilling a small hole...it shot fluid like a frigging water pistol...LOL, but the ram was scrap anyway so I was not too bothered. I then put a wood screw in to raise by pump back off the stops and was able to soften the drop safely in steps. To be honest it had been playing up for a couple years and I kind of knew I was faced with replacing the ram, it's now dead and gives me the chance to give the whole bench a bloody good service. Taking it apart I found all the bearings to be dry, I don't think the manufacturer did a great job in the first place...but now it's something I will fettle to make it better than new. I think the other thing that does not help is only using it infrequently. I'm clocking mid 50s and a good bench is an absolutely a must have.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Next

Return to Maintenance & Restoration