not charging battery

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way

not charging battery

Postby BRUCE WHITE » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 am

In need of help. I have a new stator and new battery; put a different magnet, main wiring harness, fuse box, starter solenoid, rectifier/regulator on my 84'. My voltmeter is showing that it's charging @ 14V @ 3500/4000rpm but it isn't charging the battery. it runs really good while riding but I go about 25-30 miles the battery is too drained to start back up; this is on a full charge on a brand new battery. I checked all the wire connections can't find what my problem is. I had some burned up wires from the stator to the rectifier that's why I went ahead and changed the harness and all the other stuff. Thanks in advance for any ideas. It's an 84' with 810 and stage 2 turbo; walbro fuel pump with NAPA 300cc injectors.
BRUCE WHITE

Re: not charging battery

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:43 am

You need to first check the voltage while its running AT THE BATTERY TERMINALS. The meter on the dash might be wrong but more likely there's some connection broken somewhere or missed something putting it back together?. Ideal charge rate is about 14.3. 14 is OK. Get a digital multimeter.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby BRUCE WHITE » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:26 pm

OK, I checked the voltage from the 3 yellow wires from the stator and I'm getting 60-65 volts from each. I went ahead and got a new OEM rectifier from Kawasaki. I'm still only getting 13.5 volts @ the battery @ 4000/rpm's. I've checked and cleaned all the connectors, pulled fuses, unplugged the front harness all while checking the voltage @ battery. Still no change. All my lights and blinkers work normally. Could the ignition switch be bad? I'm @ a total loss.
BRUCE WHITE

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:45 am

OK the brown wire senses the voltage in the bikes system & adjusts the reg output appropriately. If it is sensing low voltage it bumps it up & visa versy. If you replaced the alternator (This is a long shot but possible) are the components IDENTICAL to the originals? I had a suzuki once & bought a alternator from the wreckers. No-one could get it to charge. What was wrong was the alt bowl was slightly larger inner diameter & wasnt close enough to create a proper magnetic field & charge the battery.It turned out it was from a different model suzuki! The turbo alternator is different to the na model It has a higher output. Check the manual for those voltages from the alt. I thought it should be up around 90? volts but I may be wrong. I'm fitting a Power commander amongst other things & contemplating getting the higher output aftermarket winding & modern more efficient regulator myself.Good luck!
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby dazbo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:59 am

is it a lithium battery??
check the voltage at the battery terminals when not running and then when running ,obviously it should be higher when running but it sounds like maybe its not charging and the 13.5 volts is just the actual voltage of the battery when freshly charged.
double check the charging circuit actually is connected to the battery. :thumbup
dazbo
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am

Ran into this when like Dazbo asked about the Lithium. My charging was right at 13.9 at the gauge but the battery was down 12.7! I kept killing the Lithium Battery as they have some sort of breaker inside to shut the battery down from draining to low to protect the battery. I had done the alt with one from Rick's that didn't change anything. Then one of the members told me about the Mosfit Regulator upgrade going from a shunt style (grounding type) regulator to electronic. Had to do a bit of fitment to install but the charging went straight to 14.3 never had a problem again. That was 4 years ago. One thing noticed the regulator barely gets warm now. The old ground type regulator you know they get hot as boiling oil!
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:52 am

Ah Never considered the lithium side of things. I don't keep them in my shop. I will get one if someone wants it though. Didn't know the lithiums can upset the charging.There's something else to consider.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:30 pm

I don't think the lithium upsets the charging..Think it is the charging system is not working correctly upsets the lithium battery to hold a charge and trips the breaker to protect the battery (maybe from overheating/fire??) What you think Fabio?
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby Betterthanfabio » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Need an answer on if it's a lithium/what brand & what the voltage from the alternator wires should be when tested I think. He's saying around 60 I thought my old GS750 was about 90?? Haven't got access to my manual at the mo.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby BRUCE WHITE » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:41 pm

thanks for the replies guys. I had an Interstate Conventional Cycle Tron that is about a year old in good shape. then I put a brand new Yuasa Yumicron Conventional Battery in it. no change. I'm getting 13.17V from the battery not running.
BRUCE WHITE

Postby BRUCE WHITE » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:52 pm

The shop manual is calling for about 50V @ the three yellow wires.
BRUCE WHITE

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:05 am

Pretty sure you need to be in the 14.0 to 14.3 charging at the battery when the engine is idling. Not off. What voltage do you get doing it like this?
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby Betterthanfabio » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:22 am

Apparently its charging at 14v. you need to check the battery voltage after you discover it wont start with the engine turned off then you know if it's actually flat then measure the voltage while you are pushing the starter. You need that as a starting point to go look at other issues if it's not the battery. If it is still charged & it should be at that voltage then it could be the starter not doing the job when it gets hot?
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby BRUCE WHITE » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 pm

I don't understand what you mean by checking the voltage after discovering that it wont start with the engine turned off.
BRUCE WHITE

Postby Betterthanfabio » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:25 am

Checking the voltage while your trying to wind it over will tell you if there's to much load on the battery from the starter motor or some other issue.EG if the battery is charged & the voltage drops way down when you hit the starter button something else is probably wrong not the battery.
Last edited by Betterthanfabio on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Next

Return to Maintenance & Restoration