ZR7 pump upgrade

How to make your turbo good as new, and keep it that way

ZR7 pump upgrade

Postby Mang » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:29 am

Can anyone help me to find the post that Tack did on the upgraded oil pump modifications. I remember that he did some mods that resulted in slight dimensional changes to the pump but I can remember what they were.

I notice in rebuilding my engine that the pump wheel is impinging on the washer next to the starter clutch.

Thanks
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Re: ZR7 pump upgrade

Postby Betterthanfabio » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am

You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Mang » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:19 pm

thanks fabio

I am curious with this solution as taking "a bit of clearance" off the pump housing will certainly cure the problem but doesn't it create another problem in that the pump outlet doesn't align with the inlet in the oil pan - there looks to be very little room for movement here to have a "sealed" oil flow.

I guess there is some tolerance but how much do I take off?

Looks to me that 1mm will do the job but I am worrried about trashing the alignment of the oil-ways

If I remember correctly I am not sure this is how tack did it but as always I may be wrong.
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Postby johnste1960 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Guys, I am confused. My understanding the pump and relief valve are a direct fit. There is a HOW TO on this in the how to section. Is that not correct? If not, I would hope it would get updated.

I did notice there is a link to a thread by Tack for testing sump in The how to. Mang, , is this what u are talking about when u ref Tacks modifications?

I bought 2sets of these for a couple bikes I want to update understanding these were a direct fit. Also planned to do the oil galley mods. I thought quite a few have done this successfully.

if now there is an identified problem or additional mod, the How to should be updated with warning or additional info.

Let us know final conclusion :popcorn
johnste1960
Supporter

Postby JezZedexE1 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Mang, have a look here. There is a bit from Tack when he did my engine build. Hope it helps a bit. :beer :popcorn

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15218&p=148598&hilit=+oil+pump#p148598

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10240&p=131319&hilit=zr7+pump#p131319
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 am

No issue with mine Bolted straight in. Don't know why some are a problem.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Mang » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 am

Johnste - Worth reading the the links that Jez has posted as it appears some impinge and some don't.

In the end i did the modification of just taking a few thou of the wheel edge. This resulted a few thou clearance at the washer so objective achieved.

I made an aluminium mandrel, as I could not work out away of holding the wheel in the lathe, so if anyone wants to borrow it you are welcome. You will need a lathe to do the job so may be a worth you making your own mandrel on your lathe!!!!!!

Seriously, thanks to all that helped and the people that did the work for us all to copy.
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Postby rangeroy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:51 pm

don't know if this is of help or not but on the secondary shaft are 2 spacers part no 92026 & 92026A one is 2mm thick the other 3.2mm you need to get them in correct order (I'm not saying anyone has got this wrong) but its an easy over sight IMHO, I used the full shaft with the updated starter as well as the zr7 oil pump when I put the 6 speed gear box in my z650 the new oil pump gear runs on the edge of the original secondary shaft gear so it was just a better fit.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawas ... rter-motor
rangeroy
Supporter

Return to Maintenance & Restoration