Crankshaft/conrods

What to look for, and avoid.

Crankshaft/conrods

Postby Richo3677 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Can anyone please tell me if the crankshaft and conrods for a standard gpz/zx 750 are the same as the turbo? I’m looking for replacements for my turbo. Originals are virtually impossible to find.
Cheers,
Dave.
Richo3677

Re: Crankshaft/conrods

Postby ptremb » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

They are not the same. the turbo rods have a larger wrist pin hole, The crank has a different taper and/or size on the snout for the flywheel magnet.
ptremb

Postby JezZedexE1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm

They are not the same. the turbo rods have a larger wrist pin hole, The crank has a different taper and/or size on the snout for the flywheel magnet.

What you say is correct. :thumbup

The interesting thing is that when I swapped engines in one of my bikes I had to swap the flywheel magnet (rotor) as it seems as though the person who did the 810 kit mod used a different crank. As you say they are different but (and a big but) the one in my bike works. I don't know for sure which motor it originated from, but there is a good chance it was out of an NA model. Maybe a search on the forum will throw more exact light onto the possibility of using other bike cranks. :popcorn
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby DEATH_INC. » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 am

JezZedexE1 wrote:

What you say is correct. :thumbup

The interesting thing is that when I swapped engines in one of my bikes I had to swap the flywheel magnet (rotor) as it seems as though the person who did the 810 kit mod used a different crank. As you say they are different but (and a big but) the one in my bike works. I don't know for sure which motor it originated from, but there is a good chance it was out of an NA model. Maybe a search on the forum will throw more exact light onto the possibility of using other bike cranks. :popcorn

Interesting people say the flywheel taper is different, yet on both My turbo's I've been able to swap the lighter non-turbo flywheel etc straight on. As in they were the same size.
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
DEATH_INC.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Postby JezZedexE1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Interesting people say the flywheel taper is different,

The thing is I bought an engine which supposedly was 810cc. Never bothered checking or confirming it. Anyway, when the transplant took place I had to swap something as it would not fit. Thinking about it, maybe it was not the size of the taper but the outer/inner diameters of various parts which differed. Maybe the stator and rotor sizes caused an issue, not the taper. :?

I may have the taper thing all wrong so please ignore my ranting if that is the case. :oops: :roll:
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:48 am

I think there is 2 different ones & isn't VN750? alt dish the same? turbo alternators are higher output than na to cope with all the extra electrical crap as well. Again going from memory.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Return to Buying Used