Olive Drab plating

General 750 turbo related discussion
Stoneman

Olive Drab plating

Post by Stoneman »

Anyone know of a plating outfit that can finish fixings and parts in olive drab ? tried many metal finishers and running out of numbers to try
im in the south but could post anywhere , thanks in advance
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Re: Olive Drab plating

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Try either of these if they are still doing things.

http://www.bryonymetaltreatments.mfbiz.com/

OR

Griff at:
http://www.realitymotorworks.com/index.html
He is basically a middleman for all sorts of things. He probably takes the plating to Bryony as they were in the same building.

They are the places I used a few years ago.
IMG_1858_zpsjjaut6yu.jpg
IMG_1858_zpsjjaut6yu.jpg (267.24 KiB) Viewed 43 times
2786.JPG
2786.JPG (207.98 KiB) Viewed 43 times
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Post by Kawadoodle »

I had a load of fixings barrel plated and asked for black. They came out slight olive, looking like the originals. The company was Braintree Electroplaters near me in Essex. The plating is zinc but with a black dye. Barrel plating is most economical as they put all the fixings in a barrel and don't individually wire them, however for larger things like wheel spindles then they are best wired that costs more. The barrel, one load, should be enough for a whole bikes worth and is about £40 but the additional wiring is extra so expect about £60 for the lot. However for best results I prepared mine by degreasing and stripping old plating and corrosion in phosphoric acid and then going over each item on a wire wheel, which is fiddly and took me about a day. Also I kept a log of the fixings by length, thread size etc so I knew where they went back on the bike.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Post by Kawadoodle »

And just a note...the OEM plating was zinc, it's a sacrificial coating unlike chrome, so it's not very hard wearing. Inevitably the corners on the hex's of bolts does get some damage during reassemby and maintenance, so be sure to minimise damage by using good and well maintained tools. Even then you'll get some damage, where this happened I carefully touched it up with a satin black touch up. I used much of the original fixings but sympathetically where the fixings were out of sight then I replaced then with marine grade stainless (A4).