Project One

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress
Silent_Echo

Re: Project One

Post by Silent_Echo »

Well, when you move you bike to bedroom, you will be quickly on wifes black list. When you spend more time in heated garage, you will be soon on wifes black list. So there is a difference in time only :D

Btw, here is finally another small progress.. I have no time to go to garage more :?

Anyway, i had problem with disconnecting turbo from exhaust, so i use two options,
1.drill the bolt and touch bolt head with hammer from side
2. cut bolt head
Result: drilling is more clean, so i do not damage, cut or whatever anything, cuting head was too messy. What i need is just drill slowly straight down.
Still need to get rest of bolts out, but main part is done

and here is my clutch :D
I wonder what Kawasaki must have been thinking when they installed those rubber blocks under the non-screw-on joints. :roll:

Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

Good work! Can not believe how many of those bolts fixed in last 9 years! Patients and get it right when drill them works good for you!

Your clutch basket again shows why the issues with tearing up turbochargers and times the engine ! Be curious about what oil was used if you know? Amazing some of the clutch baskets are more shrunk and cracked then some are in pieces totally destroyed like yours. Wondering if certain oils cause them to break down differently. :thumbup
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

Have no idea what kind of oil it was, sorry. But i am pretty sure, that previous owner fill it to level with new oil, because it looked "clean" while the oil was being drained out.

I will also try to do research for some kind of industrial rivets, because even those new bolts for clutch basket will for sure works great, but i am not comfortable with that at this moment and do not belive it does not unscrew out. Hope you will forgive me for this insolent act :))
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Believe me there is not a rivet that matches the Big K basket. IF there was Roger would have found them years ago. He machines them up to match the basket. Part of why when he does the basket you get high quality Delrin dampers, custom machined press pin rivets. :thumbup

FYI...careful on the basket those bosses are known to crack easily drilling, pushing them out without a fixture hold it true.
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

Hello guys, it took way too long unil i have time do go to garage, but.. :roll:
Here is how engine looks like. If i have more time, i will try take pistons and all other parts out.

I will post another pics tonight, need to go to garage again now :)

Damage on pistons nr.2 and 4
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

I have not been able to disassemble the engine crankcase at all. It's glued together like instant glue mixed with sealant. so here is few more pics.

Seems to me, that seller put the bike together from parts left over from other bikes. :?

Last.pics :
One of the rubber tensioner cubes was made of some hard rubber, cut off and put in as a replacement for the original(I found the original in the oil pan), so the cylinders had to be disassembled and no one looked in the oil pan, just added oil. I was lucky that I turned the engine off in a second when I started the bike that time(I only wanted to turn the engine over via the starter and didn't expect it to start) but I was quick and the engine only growled for maybe a second or two. Also that is why in tensioner cap i found a nut for more pressure on spring in it. :cop

Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

wow that is a mess! Good luck getting it all way apart and keep us updated on your progress. :thumbup
edinlr
Supporter

Post by edinlr »

I wanted to put my H2 Ninja and my Ducati 749R in the living room and my wife suggested that I just eat and sleep in the garage.
In the garage: H2 Ninja, ZX750E turbos, Egli H*nda, 1970 CB750 w/turbo, a slew of CX H*nda turbos, VMax, Ducati 749R, 1980 Katana 1000, Bimota KB1, Bimota SB4, and a few more bikes tucked away.
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

Charlie @ Evergreen wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm wow that is a mess! Good luck getting it all way apart and keep us updated on your progress. :thumbup
I will :) But as you can see, but it took a long time to get back to the garage. I need to check and measure all the parts first, ovality of cylinders, Rods, crankshaft and way more :roll: Btw, any tips how to open crankcase which is "glued" together? What about heatgun?
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

edinlr wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:39 pm I wanted to put my H2 Ninja and my Ducati 749R in the living room and my wife suggested that I just eat and sleep in the garage.
riturbo
Supporter

Post by riturbo »

Dam Thats rough.

I just happy I can keep the garage full. :D
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Gets worse and worse. Sure hate seeing it this bad !
gpzrfan
Supporter

Post by gpzrfan »

OUCH !!

You do have your work cut out with this one. Perseverance is going to be your best mate :thumbup
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
Silent_Echo

Post by Silent_Echo »

Sooo, here i go again and got few hours to open crankcase, and..
Not perfect, but also not the worst.

:fuelfire "This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten.." :D
I start to belive, that seller swap pistons before bike goes away