longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: Turbo Kiwi

Post by longfiredragon »

Looking good :banana
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Happy new year all! With the holidays comes a few weeks off and finally a chance to work on the Turbo again. Going to get all of the bodywork sanded before I have to go back to work. Started poking around the tank and chipping off some of the paint. I have a sneaky feeling that there is a hole or two there. Looks like the there has been a repair on the underside in the same area? Will attack with some vigour tomorrow and see what is in store!
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Stripped the rolling chasis and now have a big pile of bits ready to go to the powder coaters. What a mongrel getting the swingarm bearings out!
Special linkage tool number 3 :lol:
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Sanded back the tank today which gave me a good opportunity to take a look at what is hiding under the paint. As suspected a few holes at the rear of the tank but all in all not too bad. Nothing that isn't repairable.

Had to do some breaking and entering to get the fuel cap off :lol: :lol:

gpzrfan
Supporter

Post by gpzrfan »

Now you can start dreaming about the beautiful finish to the parts stripped and sent away , will make all that hard work stripping parts and paint :thumbup
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Yep, there's a hole in the tank :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though with the amount of corrosion and the small holes that were already there I decided it would be best to cut out the rot. My welding isn't good enough to sort this so off to a mate to get a patch welded in. On the bright side at least it's clean in side the tank.

Termites got to it.
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Also got all the bodywork sanded ready for priming. There was paint upon layer of paint. On the side panels a PO had sprayed over some old stickers (not the kawasaki ones, just random ones lol)
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

wow thats a big hole cut out!

Will he be able to match the contour of the metal replacing?

Can't wait see the new pics of it repaired. :popcorn
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Charlie @ Evergreen wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:12 pm wow thats a big hole cut out!

Will he be able to match the contour of the metal replacing?

Can't wait see the new pics of it repaired. :popcorn
Fingers crossed! Not too stressed about the contour as it will need some work to with the bondo to get it looking right again. Just as long as the welds aren't to raised and nasty. Two reasons for the big hole...............I wanted to make sure all the corroded metal was removed and I want to be able to get my hand in there with the bead blasting gun.
racink
Supporter

Post by racink »

While your that far in make sure that's good around the tang.
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

While your that far in make sure that's good around the tang.
Totally agree. Do a mock assembly to ensure it does not have too much force on it otherwise can split. I had one pretty new NA750A1, totally stock and the tank sprung a leak right there. :beer
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

racink wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:32 pm While your that far in make sure that's good around the tang.
Good call. I get the frame back later this week. I’ll have a fit up and see how it looks.
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

There is nothing more exciting that getting parts back for your project bike! I get so excited :lol: . Anyways, frame and other miscellaneous parts are now bead blasted, zinced, and powdercoated. Sooo nice. I know powder coat is not orginal but to in all honesty this bike is just lucky to be coming back to life! Seriously though, the company I use for coating do such a good job and it is so durable. If anyone says you can't touch up powder coat then they aren't trying :D .
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Another shot of a pile of gloss black bits.............

Working through the parts that I will need, don't need, will need to replace, at the moment. With the changes to the running gear quite a few orignial parts are being resigned to the parts bin. Will take a bit of work refurbing all this lot but should really start to make it look like I am making some headway!

lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Had to get one of my special Kawasaki tools out again to remove the dampers from the footpeg hangers.