Turbo Kiwi

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Re: Turbo Kiwi

Post by JezZedexE1 »

I'm not sure where this rumor started
Possibly me. :roll:

The story is my Blue bike developed an oil leak (base gasket due to overheating about 9 years ago in a big queue at the https://hoggin-the-bridge.co.uk/) and to avoid a repair at the time, I asked the mechanic to remove it and install an 810cc engine that I had purchased. I then got a call to find out if I had a different size stator, as the one that was on the old/removed engine was not correct.

My assumption at the time was that the 810 engine does not have a turbo crank. What specific model bike it is from I have no idea. I had just presumed it was an NA crank. Appears this may not be the case.

I can take the cover off and take a couple of measurements if it helps. :popcorn
:beer
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
rangeroy
Supporter

Post by rangeroy »

not trying to start a fight here at all & just to clear up a point I should have said rotor taper not the stator (which bolts into the generator cover, my mistake) on the engines I have z650, gpz750 & turbo the stator taper is smaller on the 650&gpz & because i'm a tight yorkshire man I tried to use both on the turbo to no avail so went down the zr7 route for both the stator & rotor due to a lot less cost than turbo parts
stators & rotors.jpg
stators & rotors.jpg (154.9 KiB) Viewed 165 times
left zr7 stator & rotor (with removal tool) middle turbo stator, right z650 (single phase) & turbo rotor
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

I should have said rotor taper
That is what I had the issue with. :thumbup Large & small diameters of the 2 crank's tapered end ( and possibly the length) were different. So must have swapped the casing, stator and associated items. As I recall, I had the spares so it was not a problem.

:beer
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
DEATH_INC.
Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Post by DEATH_INC. »

rangeroy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:40 pm I should have said rotor taper
Strange, as I said I've used 2 NA rotors/flywheels or whatever on 2 different turbos with the smaller NA stator and cover which you have to use as well. Maybe the models you tried are different, are they on that list of crank matches I listed? We're messing up Andy's thread a bit, but it would be good to clear this up for guys in the future.
Fwiw I know the old 80's 750 LTD has the same larger flywheel/stator as the Turbo.
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Phew! You go away for a week and look what happens! :lol: :lol: At least I have learnt a lot about the stators now.

Had to bugger off up north for work so very little progress has been achieved on the geepeezed. A mate of mine did ring and let me know he had finished the new spindle for the ZR7 triple tree. Decided on using the ZR7 forks for two reasons. I have them sitting in the shed so saves a few bucks, they will give me a 17" front and have a cable speedo, and they don't look out of place on the GPZ. Okay, three reasons then. Having used them before on a Z650 I know with new springs and a bit of fettling they work well and will be more than adequate for how I will plan to use the turbo.

To get the clamps to fit I needed the stem of the ZR7 to be 20mm longer. The turbo and the ZR7 are same specs other than the ZR7 being shorter and having a nut to secure the top rather than a bolt. I don't have a press so will have to head over to another mates house later in the week and install the new stem. Fingers crossed I should have the basics of my frontend sorted after that.

Left is the standard ZR7 stem, middle is the new one, and right is the Turbo.

When I got home there was a box of bits from CMS in the Netherlands waiting for me. Seals for the bottom end, and the funny pin that goes in the clutch! I have never used CSM before but a friend recommended them and really happy. Reasonable freight price, and super fast! Will definitely use them again. Sourcing parts when you live in NZ, as Death will attest to, you often end up paying more in postage than the cost of item you're buying! :(
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Motivational tool :lol: :lol:
georgew4714
Supporter

Post by georgew4714 »

:thumbup :victory
84 750E1 ,zx7 swing arm & rim , Zr7s shock ,dyna coils, k&n , bov , afpr , variable resistor for race mode. Ported spider ,dump pipe , Evergreen billet HT-10 , RTI hydraulic clutch .
gpzrfan
Supporter

Post by gpzrfan »

When I got home there was a box of bits from CMS in the Netherlands waiting for me. Seals for the bottom end, and the funny pin that goes in the clutch! I have never used CSM before but a friend recommended them and really happy. Reasonable freight price, and super fast! Will definitely use them again. Sourcing parts when you live in NZ, as Death will attest to, you often end up paying more in postage than the cost of item you're buying! :(

So did you get the little logo man key ring as a freebie ?? :rock

Think i have a enough for a full football team :rofl:

Keep up the good work
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

gpzrfan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:59 pm When I got home there was a box of bits from CMS in the Netherlands waiting for me. Seals for the bottom end, and the funny pin that goes in the clutch! I have never used CSM before but a friend recommended them and really happy. Reasonable freight price, and super fast! Will definitely use them again. Sourcing parts when you live in NZ, as Death will attest to, you often end up paying more in postage than the cost of item you're buying! :(

So did you get the little logo man key ring as a freebie ?? :rock

Think i have a enough for a full football team :rofl:

Keep up the good work
:lol: :lol: I have a couple of reserves! Working on the team.
lazza111

Post by lazza111 »

Before I buggered off up north for work last week I dropped in the replacement top fairing into the plastic welders to get fixed up. I checked the other panels and one of the side panels had a pretty decent crack in it so that went in for sorting too. Picked them up today and well stoked with the work. Unfortunately I didn't take any before photos but the repairs to the top fairing are superb.