Phew! You go away for a week and look what happens!
At least I have learnt a lot about the stators now.
Had to bugger off up north for work so very little progress has been achieved on the geepeezed. A mate of mine did ring and let me know he had finished the new spindle for the ZR7 triple tree. Decided on using the ZR7 forks for two reasons. I have them sitting in the shed so saves a few bucks, they will give me a 17" front and have a cable speedo, and they don't look out of place on the GPZ. Okay, three reasons then. Having used them before on a Z650 I know with new springs and a bit of fettling they work well and will be more than adequate for how I will plan to use the turbo.
To get the clamps to fit I needed the stem of the ZR7 to be 20mm longer. The turbo and the ZR7 are same specs other than the ZR7 being shorter and having a nut to secure the top rather than a bolt. I don't have a press so will have to head over to another mates house later in the week and install the new stem. Fingers crossed I should have the basics of my frontend sorted after that.
Left is the standard ZR7 stem, middle is the new one, and right is the Turbo.
When I got home there was a box of bits from CMS in the Netherlands waiting for me. Seals for the bottom end, and the funny pin that goes in the clutch! I have never used CSM before but a friend recommended them and really happy. Reasonable freight price, and super fast! Will definitely use them again. Sourcing parts when you live in NZ, as Death will attest to, you often end up paying more in postage than the cost of item you're buying!