Resto-Mod N/A to Turbo Project

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress
gpzrfan
Supporter

Re: Resto-Mod N/A to Turbo Project

Post by gpzrfan »

Some nice fabrication work .... the light bracket wont bee seen by anyone when everything is fitted so the aesthetics don't come into it but as your already considering loosing more metal you know you will do it :rofl:

put it down to wight saving and OCD engineering needs :thumbup
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
gpzrfan
Supporter

Post by gpzrfan »

Some nice fabrication work .... the light bracket wont bee seen by anyone when everything is fitted so the aesthetics don't come into it but as your already considering loosing more metal you know you will do it :rofl:

2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Post by Streetfighterkz »

gpzrfan wrote:Some nice fabrication work .... the light bracket wont bee seen by anyone when everything is fitted so the aesthetics don't come into it but as your already considering loosing more metal you know you will do it :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words. I’m thinking of not running the inner fairing but haven’t decided 100% on it. I probably won’t as the air passing through the oil cooler has to go somewhere. I guess I could drill holes in the inner fairing to vent the air out?

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

I was able to jump back on the bike and continued on the dash. I found a small universal gear indicator so I reconfigured the dash layout slightly. I swapped up to 1/8” thick material for the finalized panel. Next task is to fab mounts on the fairing stay for the dash.

Later, Doug
gpzrfan
Supporter

Post by gpzrfan »

Interested to see how this works out, sure the dase will be spot on, just how you configure it at the lever end.... often considered one myself :thumbup
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

I put the windshield on to help visualize exactly where the dash should be and still be visible and it snow-balled a little bit. I ended up mocking up all the panels and the seat. I love the lines and the stance and can’t wait to do more work on the bike.

Later, Doug
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

Wow you been holding back on us! Amazing how we can keep these all original or make them a totally updated turbo bike that can perform so much better. Keep it coming! :beer
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Charlie @ Evergreen wrote:Wow you been holding back on us! Amazing how we can keep these all original or make them a totally updated turbo bike that can perform so much better. Keep it coming! :beer
I don’t think I’ve ever shown it fully clothed since the first post where it was pretty much a standard bike except for the paint. For the shape the bike was originally, I could have restored it for cheaper than what I have into it now. It would still be valued less than what I would have invested and way less value than if it was a bonafide Turbo model to boot. At least this way I make it mine and they’re will be no others quite like in anywhere in the world.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Resto-Mod N/A to Turbo Project

I spent several hours on my mill today making a holder for the gear indicator. Very pleased with it. Only had one mistake but it’s hidden by the gear indicator itself.

Image Image

Later, Doug
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

Ok this gear indicator has me intrigued. Still try to find 6th gear on the turbo occasionally even after all these years! :lol:
The old style ones (like on my GS750) have a rotating switch (like an ignition switch) bolted on the end of the selector? shaft in the gearbox but all the modern ones I can find online are fully electric & plug into the wiring harness somewhere.
I'm wondering how this one is going to work?
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

:popcorn
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Betterthanfabio wrote: I'm wondering how this one is going to work?
In the picture of the gear indicator shown with a quarter a few posts up, the little piece with two holes is a hall effect sensor. There’s two sensors, one for sensing up and another for down, along with a small magnet (in baggie at the top right of same photo).

I’m running Gilles rearsets so I may try to make a mount around the shift shaft going into the engine but haven’t got that far yet.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Turned some threaded bungs, cut and notched some 3/8” tubing and a few tack welds and my dash is mounted.

Started centering the new front wheel setup. I think I made the RH spacer 0.5mm too thin but it’s hard to get an accurate measurement.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

The ‘84-85 fairing stay is different than the ‘83 and attaches to the frame’s downtubes differently. It took my a few weeks to come up with a solution that I didn’t hate. First was to cut off the factory mounts and then make up some little brackets. I also turned some threaded bungs to weld into the fairing stay after cutting of the ends as again they didn’t fit the ‘83’s frame.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

I didn’t like the old plate bracket I made another using one from another bike as a template. The plate light sticks out a bit further than I’d like but it is what it is.

Later, Doug