Resto-Mod N/A to Turbo Project

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress

Re: Resto-Mod N/A to Turbo Project

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:57 pm

That looks nice Doug. I am keeping the stock gauges for now, but am going to fabricate a plate something like that but just to hold the boost and AFR meters up and kinda behind the gauge cluster. Of course only in my head right now.

Is that an oil cooler hiding behind the upper fairing there?
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby tacky1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Streetfighterkz wrote:Mounted up a mock-up tire using the zip-tie method. First time trying it and it took 10-15 mins if that. Not sure how removing a tire will be though.

I have bike building ADD and jump from task to task. After the rear I bounced up to the front again. I wasn’t feeling my attempt at a front fairing bracket so I bought a 84-85 piece as it’s different from the 83 I started with and will work better for me.

Later, Doug

Now that's a first, I have never seen this one, I use a ratchet strap for the awkward ones and it works every time.... :thumbup
Build is looking class, nice work,,,
tacky1

Postby Streetfighterkz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:47 pm

longfiredragon wrote:Is that an oil cooler hiding behind the upper fairing there?

It is a very small Earls cooler. I know some here are not running an oil cooler with no ill effect but I figure it won’t hurt plus it’ll look cool.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby youngblood » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Same size cooler I had on my Z650 turbo had no problems
youngblood
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I agree why not, I have thought about putting a oil cooler back on mine. I have to laugh at the one picture Doug, you have a piece of metal mesh taped to the front, with the black circle (Not sure what that is, go with headlight) And above it is a bag with a tube (Presumably fuel maybe)

But I couldn't help thinking it looked like a patient in surgery with a IV bag hooked to them. :rofl: Keep up the good work.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:06 pm

longfiredragon wrote:I agree why not, I have thought about putting a oil cooler back on mine. I have to laugh at the one picture Doug, you have a piece of metal mesh taped to the front, with the black circle (Not sure what that is, go with headlight) And above it is a bag with a tube (Presumably fuel maybe)

But I couldn't help thinking it looked like a patient in surgery with a IV bag hooked to them. :rofl: Keep up the good work.

This pic? The black circle is the projector headlight lens poking through a hole in the fairing. The grill is about where I’m going to have a cut-out for air to pass through to get to the oil cooler. And yes, that’s an auxiliary fuel tank for when I have run a bike on my lift without the factory tank on.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby gpzrfan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:51 pm

I love that tyre hack !!

I am a fan of the projector lamp, have one fitted onto my other turbo.... think I preferred the lamp with the board number around but I assume the metal grate is for air into the oil cooler .... will you paint the board number on again ???

great work :clap
2005 ZX636R
1980 - modified Z650
1985 - modified GPZ600R / 400R
1986 - GPZ600R absolutely standard
1989 - GPZ900R A6 - A7 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - modified ZXR750 running gear
1984 GPZ750 Turbo - Paxo special
An analog man in a digital world
gpzrfan
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:36 am

I’ve been working on the Gpz when I have the spare time. I noticed while rolling it around some thuds from the back wheel. I thought it might the valve stem hitting the caliper like the VFR wheel did with my custom caliper bracket. (I solved that by buying a Brembo caliper with the ports on the side rather than the top.)

I was wrong....

I have a plan but for now at least it still looks cool!

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:36 pm

I became tired of dealing with the rear wheel and brake so I turned my attention back to the front.

Managed to figure out a mounting setup for the Earl’s oil cooler. The cooler I’ve finally settled on doesn’t have the tabs like most. Figuring out how to mount it vertically and keep the package small (the cooler is 7x3x2) was a pain. I think I got it though. I ended up making the upper mounting tabs that weld onto the fairing stay too short so I have to remake those.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 pm

That looks sweet Doug. Keep up the good work.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Went about trying to finalize a headlight mounting configuration. I used a piece of 1/4” round rod tacked on so the it could be relatively easily bent to finalize a location and set the beam where I want it. (You can also see I made new oil cooler mountain tabs and have them tacked on as well.)

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:35 am

I finally have no bikes other than my own in the garage right now. So back to focusing on my own projects.

I’ve started about 5-6 different headlight mounting designs and think I finally came up with one I like. I still need to add lightening holes or shape the side plates more but it’s forward progress.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Looking good Doug. Glad you were able to get back into it. Keep it going. :victory
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Streetfighterkz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:22 pm

I trimmed up the headlight mounting plate some to make it less bulky. I’m still debating if I remove more material from what’s left.

I also made a quick mock-up dash to see if I like the layout before working on a mounting solution. The oil pressure gauge and tach are going to to be sold off to buy an AFR gauge and fancy Stack tach/speedo to fill in the vacant holes.

Later, Doug
Streetfighterkz
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Looking good, looking good. If it was me Doug I would just add some lightening holes like you were talking about, and it should be good. :victory
longfiredragon
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Projects