My 750 turbo build up

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress

My 750 turbo build up

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 am

Had this 12000 mile bike 23yrs bought as a basket case no front end tank ect ect been stood all that time since owning always took a back seat.now is her time,just took head and barrels off to inspect clean,repaint and rebuild.dont know if the clutch plates are stuck or not so will strip that tomorrow sump is off bottom end still in the frame,is it worth polishing up the piston crowns?? what is a cross drilled oil pan,??does it require an upgraded oil pump,what about oil screen banjo bolt,is it worth replacing it with an inline oil screen ? or left as it is,its late ...
will post pics as i go once i get to grips with doing so..
all the best....
steady eddie

Re: My 750 turbo build up

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:54 am

Lot of the information you need is in this link.

Doing the oil pump and relief valve upgrades is worth the time and money to protect your engine with better oil pressure and volume of oil. You can leave the pan alone if you do this upgrade. Do the clutch basket for sure..this has caused many a failed turbo thru the years.
Link will have the information with pics and part numbers your looking for.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13810
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm

[quote="Charlie @ Evergreen"]thank you ,i am all ears,i just wasnt sure on any oil system upgrades that improve a stock bike,and are worthwhile,without deviating too far
i am getting on with the clutch,hence your advice, i also need to get turbocharger cleaned up and reconditioned,may get initial work done here to get it back in the land of the living,then maybe send the turbo to you for some pure tuning
one step at a time,
will let you know how i go,and may/will have some turbocharger questions down the road
All the best....
ps wonderful link thanks
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:38 pm

found out the main benefits of polished pistons{times by 30}are better overall heat transfer ,a reduce in overall temperature by up to 8oC , decrease in piston temp by 16oC, increase in exhaust temp 10oC,hence turbo temp?? , increase in torque up to 3 percent,better bang, benefits the performance and component life compared to none polished ones .
steady eddie

Postby georgew4714 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Heard alot of mods and upgrades on this forum but can't remember anyone talking about polished pistons , sorry no help from me . Isnt there something about not polishing anything except exhaust runners to help with fuel atomization ? Honestly don't know .

So what is the direction for this project .... rebuilt to stock specs to keep value , all out hot rod with upgraded suspension to fill the need for speed or something in between ? :popcorn
84 750E1 ,zx7 swing arm & rim , Zr7s shock ,dyna coils, k&n , bov , afpr , variable resistor for race mode. Ported spider ,dump pipe , Evergreen billet HT-10 , RTI hydraulic clutch .
georgew4714
Supporter

Postby Kawadoodle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:12 pm

I think the piston crowns will still get a coat of carbon irrespective of being polished but might resist it for a little longer.
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Postby steady eddie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:28 pm

[quote="georgew4714" Got my head and barrels off looks good,piston crowns, skirts,rings look ckean ive took pics will uploade them as i go ,going to polish up piston crowns,decoke and flow the exhaust ports and flow the intake ports,esp the entrance where the intake rubbers meet. i have already deviated from the total stock route just by having a different swinger{ gmc} on it which is an actual period of the time upgrade ,the weight difference is quite alot frrom the stock swinger,{ still got original one}. I am going to make my own exhaust up out of a neta system with two shortened rear near open end cans still got kwak y pipe, keeping with period look and keep bottom end grunt. I have got the turbocharger being looked at over here for now ,stage 1,with the hope of sending it to charlie down the road,stage 2.. I was thinking about oil system upgrades relief valve and pump, cross drilled oil pan but dont want to overload oil seals in the turbocharger ect ect .May do relief valve and pump to improve flow but my mind is not set on what the figures are for improvement and what exact parts to use.Was thinking about an Intercooler also but along comes further deviation. This motor wont get wrung for horses or abused.but i will improve things depending on the balance As you know the rule" for every gain there is a loss",i have another bike that i bought as a donor ,havent spun the motor on it yet but have been told it was a running bike,not standard like streefighter style,needs tlc my aim is to also put that back together looking closer to what it should be but maybe non stanard turbo and add some lightness to it.One stock, one not so stock. either to keep??,or just sell as a good project base,like all turbos it must be saved from the scrapyard in the sky.keep you posted
All the best...
Last edited by steady eddie on Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:50 am, edited 11 times in total.
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:36 pm

[quote="Kawadoodle"]the pistons are looking good on a 12000mile motor they look pretty clean as they are to be honest,,so polished crowns should still be looking even better than the stock ones are looking now and show better results by at least the same 12000 miles or 12miles down the road. certain old racers used to re polish them like a mirror after every race ,ceramic coating is an option,certain race events banned you for polishing them!, think it was rallying not sure ,maybe some still do? Im going to polish to crowns up and clean everything,no harm done
will keep you posted as igo
All the best...
Last edited by steady eddie on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steady eddie

Return to Projects