Sanctuary-inspired turbo

A place to document your projects and work-in-progress

Re: Sanctuary-inspired turbo

Postby LondonZ1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:30 pm

I haven't seen the mag yet so I'm very jealous. I'm away for a few days and won't see it until I get back, unless some kind soul sends me a scan...

Yes, I should get a copy of all the photos and hopefully a pdf of the front cover as well.
LondonZ1
Supporter

Postby Mang » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:40 am

Pete
Enjoyed the article immensely. Great images and copy. Also a very impressive build - as we all know!
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Postby LondonZ1 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks Mang, glad you liked it. My son has now sent me a scan. I was especially pleased with the moody shot on the first page of the article inside. There are a couple of technical snafus - the Porsche turbo sensor is for the engine temp, not the timing - but overall it's a good read. I am slightly embarrassed by some of the quotes. I don't recall saying I wanted to build "the best turbo special in the world" which implies a level of arrogance that I hope I don't have. Jim did genuinely seem to like the bike though, partly I think because it's different to the usual PS fare. They have featured 750 turbos before but only standard ones. Now to finish all the niggling details that aren't quite right yet. Finalise the crankcase breather, design and fit a better battery tray, modify the gear linkage so the rose joint goes inside not outside, get the chain guard anodised black (and maybe the dash too), correct the rev display in the speedo, program the gear position indicator, fit some missing fairing fasteners, improve the side panel/fairing fit, replace the sump gasket to cure an oil leak, cover the wires in harness tape, replace the adjustable clutch slave bush with a fixed design, re-route the handlebar cables and devise some way of disabling the starter motor unless the engine is in neutral and/or the clutch is pulled in. Plenty to keep me busy for a while yet, especially as I also have standard turbo restoration to complete.
LondonZ1
Supporter

Postby janluke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Looking great sir, very impressive. I'm also looking forward to the next one ;-)
janluke

Postby Betterthanfabio » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:25 am

Gear position indicator!! Had them on my old 2 stroke GT380 & GT550 Suzuki's! I still try to get into 6th on the turbo!! :rofl: :rofl:
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby Mang » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:50 am

LondonZ1 wrote:Thanks Mang, glad you liked it. My son has now sent me a scan. I was especially pleased with the moody shot on the first page of the article inside. There are a couple of technical snafus - the Porsche turbo sensor is for the engine temp, not the timing - but overall it's a good read. I am slightly embarrassed by some of the quotes. I don't recall saying I wanted to build "the best turbo special in the world" which implies a level of arrogance that I hope I don't have. Jim did genuinely seem to like the bike though, partly I think because it's different to the usual PS fare. They have featured 750 turbos before but only standard ones. Now to finish all the niggling details that aren't quite right yet. Finalise the crankcase breather, design and fit a better battery tray, modify the gear linkage so the rose joint goes inside not outside, get the chain guard anodised black (and maybe the dash too), correct the rev display in the speedo, program the gear position indicator, fit some missing fairing fasteners, improve the side panel/fairing fit, replace the sump gasket to cure an oil leak, cover the wires in harness tape, replace the adjustable clutch slave bush with a fixed design, re-route the handlebar cables and devise some way of disabling the starter motor unless the engine is in neutral and/or the clutch is pulled in. Plenty to keep me busy for a while yet, especially as I also have standard turbo restoration to complete.

Not much to do then.
Mang
Mang
Supporter

Postby LondonZ1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:39 am

The bike is now fully set up and the final figures were 168bhp at 10psi and 130 lb ft of torque. Allmotion actually dialled it back from 135 as the clutch was starting to slip. I have some heavy duty springs I will fit later. I have to say I am a bit gob-smacked by the power figure and even more by the torque. This bike has a pretty mild tune so I was expecting 140bhp at best. It should be great fun to ride when the roads are dry. The PS journalist summed it up as “comfy, capable and slightly unhinged” which is a good summary of what I was aiming for. I have a long list of niggles to sort over the winter and then I can start putting some miles on it next spring.
LondonZ1
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm

Just love how this has come together!! Awesome!! I bet you can't wait to feel the power!
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby LondonZ1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:36 pm

...and here is the finished article. This pic was taken by the magazine's photographer. We were lucky to have a dry break in a week of awful weather.
Attachments
_85Q3640 small.jpg
LondonZ1
Supporter

Postby DEATH_INC. » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 am

That looks amazing! :beer
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
DEATH_INC.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Postby rangeroy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 am

Wow!! :clap
rangeroy
Supporter

Postby Charlie @ Evergreen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 pm

Just awesome looking !
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Postby georgew4714 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:18 am

Great job Peter, it was great following along with your build and seeing your vision come together.

Would love to read the magazine article . Is that publication available in the states ? Or is there a way the article could be uploaded to the " In The Press " section on this forum ?
84 750E1 ,zx7 swing arm & rim , Zr7s shock ,dyna coils, k&n , bov , afpr , variable resistor for race mode. Ported spider ,dump pipe , Evergreen billet HT-10 , RTI hydraulic clutch .
georgew4714
Supporter

Postby LondonZ1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi George, as requested, I've uploaded a scan of the article in the press section. I've also uploaded the final (for now!) dyno run at 168bhp. The torque was 'only' 123 lb ft, I must have misheard the 130. There is clearly more to come if desired as it's only 10psi and the 168bhp was at just 7,300rpm. I have ridden a few miles now and the power builds really quickly from 3,000 to 5,000rpm. The torque doubles over that range as the turbo kicks in, making it hard to keep the front wheel on the ground in first gear. The power goes from 30bhp to 110bhp, and I doubt there is a bike on sale today that makes 110bhp at 5,000rpm. The possible exception is the new Triumph Rocket 3 which has 179bhp at 7,300rpm and 165lb ft at 4,000rpm. It needs 2,458cc to do this and weighs over 300kg ready to roll.
Attachments
750 turbo dyno 168bhp.pdf
(320.45 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
LondonZ1
Supporter

Postby georgew4714 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank you Peter, I look forward to reading it later tonight . :beer

Id say some of that horsepower and most of its its torque is due to the 810 but for sure the bulk of the horsepower and the way the boost comes in is due to Charlie's work on that turbo . I know first hand the difference between stock to his blueprint and even up to his billet build . The stock turbo never built boost that low . Even though i suspected your modest goal of 130 would end up being over 150 thoughout your build , to see the numbers now and to know theres more in there with tuning , is very impressive. :clap

Please keep us updated on this build as you tie up your loose ends and get its final tune set .

Great job :thumbup
84 750E1 ,zx7 swing arm & rim , Zr7s shock ,dyna coils, k&n , bov , afpr , variable resistor for race mode. Ported spider ,dump pipe , Evergreen billet HT-10 , RTI hydraulic clutch .
georgew4714
Supporter

Previous

Return to Projects