Triumph Tiger 800 2011 clutch anomaly

General other bike discussion
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Triumph Tiger 800 2011 clutch anomaly

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Just throwing this out here, before I go to the Tiger forum and register.

Anyone able to suggest a possible cause for this?

A couple of weeks ago, I was riding the Tiger home. I had used the clutch a number of times from leaving site until joining the motorway, no issues. Travelled for a few miles with no issues (not using clutch as would be expected) or odd things happening. As I was approaching the exit sliproad, I pulled in the clutch to drop a gear or two and there was nothing!! :help :? :shock:

Absolutely no resistance. Anyway, doing a bit of crash changing I got down to a low speed. Fortunately I was able to see the traffic which was coming at the end where I had to enter the roundabout and managed to join without stopping. Went around and exited where I needed to and rode up the the top of the hill. At the top I slowed & pulled over. :)

I had a poke about and could find no issues. I did notice that when I pulled in the clutch lever, there was a tiny bit of movement at the engine end. I turned the adjuster on the clutch lever out about 6-8mm and that seemed to put everything back into a usable state, much the same as it was before. I rode home and have done a couple of hundred miles since, no problems at all.

I have just replaced the cable with a new one and it is on the same setting as the one I took off. Not as it was prior to this incident.

If anyone has a plausible cause or possible reason for this, I would be interested to know. I can then look into it further. Next step will be to swap the lever back to the original non-adjustable one I took off 5 years ago. Both levers are genuine Triumph parts.

:beer :thumbup
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
Turbo Pete
Supporter

Re: Triumph Tiger 800 2011 clutch anomaly

Post by Turbo Pete »

Hi Jezz, I have had the adjuster on the lever end of the cable "self Adjust" through vibrations on a bike once, If the locking nut is not tight enough it can slowly screw itself in while riding and remove all clutch action. Now after I have set up the freeplay in the cable I tighten the lock nut with pliers. Now I just have the odd cable snap :mad
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem.
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I know what you mean.

This is similar, but ony one adjuster. No lock nut as such, just a spring like thing which pushes against the adjuster and gets harder to adjust the further in it goes.
32.JPG
32.JPG (183.79 KiB) Viewed 872 times
I have looked through some old helmet camera footage and cannot see any obvious differences. :?

:popcorn
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
Turbo Pete
Supporter

Post by Turbo Pete »

Ok thats interesting!
Well, maybe you better just sell it and buy another Kawasaki! :lol:
The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude towards the problem.