Exhausts - can anyone help?

General other bike discussion
FarNorth
Supporter

Exhausts - can anyone help?

Post by FarNorth »

Good evening everyone - I'm a new member with Turbo that is still operating and in almost original condition!

I have a question please.

The mufflers on the Turbo - are they the same as those on the normally aspirated bike? If not how do they differ?

I'm looking for a set of replacement lookalikes and have found a chap who is willing to help but I need to know if there is a difference.

I suspect there is but I'm not sure.

Thanks.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: Exhausts - can anyone help?

Post by longfiredragon »

Hey FarNorth

First knowing where you are located is always helpful, how can anyone attempt to steer you in the right direction if we don't know in what part of the world you reside.

For now look in the "General Discussion" and "For Sale Wanted" section of this forum. There is a gentleman by the name of Malcolm Cox that was making extremely nice replacement mufflers for the turbo. Also yes, I believe they are diff. from the N/A bike but don't know all the differences myself.
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Hi. Judging by the "muffler" word, I suspect you are US based.

There are two different size outlet holes on the US models. One for Cal I believe, a little bit bigger than the size for the rest of the country.
7.JPG
7.JPG (128.52 KiB) Viewed 386 times
The diameter of these are both larger the the NA outlet hole, which I think is 28mm or just over 1 inch.

Turbo will be about 1/4 inch bigger (35mm or so)

I have swapped over the end caps on a pair of NA pipes and to the best of my knowledge the main assembly is the same with them all, so theoretically could be used with a small mod at the end.
533.JPG
533.JPG (103.96 KiB) Viewed 386 times
:popcorn
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
Kawadoodle
Supporter

Post by Kawadoodle »

That's what I did, the muffler internals are identical.
FarNorth
Supporter

Post by FarNorth »

Thank you for those replies concerning my exhaust - I live in Northern Australia sorry my mistake for not identifying that but it's my first time on a forum. However, originally I'm from the UK where the use of the word "muffler" for me at least is normal!

Very grateful chaps for your interest. My bike is an American import so the last picture sent by JezZedexA1 of the two mufflers the one on the left is the type on my bike - progress so far so thank you.

Knowing that the internals are the same is useful and that it seems just the end caps are the only difference.

Any contact for Malcolm Cox?

Thank you for your help. If you have any particular tips concerning the exhausts I would welcome your knowledge. I bought the bike whilst I was in quarantine - always wanted one to add to my collection so my knowledge of this model is non existent - It runs well - its engine shows only 28K miles and is very quiet - no unusual noises. An engine oil leak has appeared so Ill start looking at that but the knowledge up here of this model is limited to a few who owned them in the past - that is it sadly. My intention is to bring this back to as original as I can but still use it. After all that was why it was made.

One question I have asked is, "How can I do I maintain the Turbo in good working order?" From the mechanics in the Far North I have had a shrug of the shoulders and no answers. Any clues?
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

FarNorth, no problem, it's just easier in some cases for others to help if we know where you are.

The good news is I believe there is at least 3 members on here that live in Australia,own and have experience with these bikes. I know it's a big country but at least there still in the same country.

Just going to throw this out cause I don't know the exact history of your turbo. These bikes are old now and we know that the dampers inside the clutch start to come apart and small particulates get in the oil system, which gets into the turbo bearings and destroys the bearings. If your dampers haven't been replaced, it would be at the top of your to do list. Now one knows exactly how long it takes to destroy the bearings, but I can tell you it destroyed mine in less than 175 miles. Most say don't even run the bike at idle until this issue has been taken care of. Another issue is that some turbos have oiling issues and people upgrade to the ZR7 high volume oil pump and check valve. Charlie has posted a complete post in the " How To" section of this forum. As far as making sure the turbo is functioning correctly, do the dampers first ( unless you know it has been done already) if you want the best functioning, badass Turbocharger you can get, that's easy, send it to Charlie for rebuild/upgrade. Welcome and happy tinkering and riding.

Also I think Mr. Cox has his contact info in the "For Sale Wanted" section of the forum here.
FarNorth
Supporter

Post by FarNorth »

Thank you so much for that advice. I look at that straight away. Any idea of part numbers and sources of spare parts?
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

If it's of any interest I can confirm that the Australian delivery bikes are 35 mm. E1 & E2 not that that should make a difference anyway. There's fat chance of finding mufflers in good condition anywhere the 4 I just checked all rattled when I picked them up. There's a left hand one that looks good no scrapes, a bit of surface rust on the inside where the indentation is for the axle. Not willing to part with it at the moment til I get my replica ones from Malcolm. Then I will either have a set of replica pipes on it or be chasing a RH one to match the one I already have. Dunno yet. I have one modified bike plus the standard that needs to be restored... one day.
Australian members there's a few of us. 2 active members here in Tas, Vino Bassi in Melbourne and there's a few others floating around the mainland. We guard our parts well, not easy getting bits here. I got extremely lucky. I advertised in a couple of different places & bought both bikes on the same day. I never found another one that was in a decent price range. The one from Sth Australia was supposed to be a runner but it wasn't & someone turned up at my house with one on a trailer that had been laid down on the RH side & broke the engine cases. It belonged to his Mother!
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

Well Charlies info. is easy. He tries to keep up with everything here on the forum, and his name is in RED just click on it.

Check the "How To" section for the dampers, I know there was a gentleman on here selling the dampers if you want to change them your self, or have someone there do it for you. However Roger Twito offers a full service and replacement of all needed parts including new dampers, rivets, everything. And I believe Charlie has posted his contact info. in the "How To" sections as well.

As far as the ZR7 high volume oil pump and check valve you can go online and look up the P/N (I will see if I can find it) and then just check for best prices. I ordered mine from Kawasaki because I wanted a new OEM pump and valve.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

I believe this is the pump and check valve numbers. You will have to search for best price, here is a link to just one Kawasaki reference, not sure if they still stock them or not. I did see a post from a member that just bought both last year from ZPOWER in the UK, may check them out. I am pretty sure there are about 5 years of the ZR7S bike that will work, probably more. I think most go for the 2003, 2004 model year. https://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/oem ... oil-filter

ZR7S Oil Pump PN 16082-1158
ZR7S Relief Valve PN 16130-1058

You may need an oil pan gasket as well, and those are getting hard to come by. I have a used one I hung on to and intend to just get some gasket material and make my own from now on. You may have to try and save yours and do the same.
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

German oil pan gasket has two left on link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231551265740?s ... 1438.l2649

This How To & Maintenance Restoration link for all PN's contacts Pics etc.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13810
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

Thanks for chiming in C.

Trying to post stuff here while I am at work, limited time. :thumbup
Olcockie
Supporter

Post by Olcockie »

Far North, Great to hear of another "local" bike coming together. You might try Turbo Pete for a gasket here in Aus. Helped me out recently and very efficient. :thumbup

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18637

OC
ZX750 E1
GPz900r A7 (Plan B) :oops:
GPz900r (Plan C)
FarNorth
Supporter

Post by FarNorth »

Chaps thank you for all the input and advice - I'm trying to absorb it all!

My bike is in good condition and original thank goodness and sits with its stable mates - an original Z1R (owned by since I was 19 years old) a CBX, a Z13 and just finishing restoration but sadly COVID delayed, GPZ 1100 A1 and for a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane a Z200 which was my first bike.

I have contacted a chap concerning the clutch dampers and it seems he makes them from Viton and is in a position to help there. I'll let you all know how I go with those.

Can't say, "Thank you" enough for all your support - I very much appreciate it. Hoping I can repay that help in the future.

Speak soon.

Far North
johnb
Supporter

Post by johnb »

Hey Far North.
Is that as in FNQ, Im in Cairns if thats anywhere near you.
Cheers JB