Brake disc thickness query

General other bike discussion
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Brake disc thickness query

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Tyger Tyger burning bright. :)

OK, Tiger 800 :?

Just a basic query I want to throw out here, to find out IF 0.25mm can make the difference.

I have just taken delivery of a pair of Galfer wavy discs. DF930FLW for those of you who would like to know.

I have just had a look at them and would like to find out what impact the thickness difference could have. The stock/originals are 4.5mm thick and these are 5mm. This suggests the position of the pads will be affected, The pistons will need to be pushed in deeper and 0.25mm may or may not make a difference and possibly the new discs won't fit without the brake pads binding. Can anyone let me know if I can expect any issues or if they will fit & perform as well as stock discs/pads. Just checking before I start doing the job. :popcorn :beer
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Re: Brake disc thickness query

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

Just a thought I would compress the pistons in install with pads see how much clearance you have from pad to rotor.
Long as there is clearance I would think there is decent amount still you should be ok. Thicker rotor keep them from overheating distorting would be benefit if the pads have clearance.
Most calipers being floating adjust for variations. Hopefully the fitment is good.
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Thanks Charlie. :thumbup That all makes sense and confirms what I thought. I have also done some searching on the 800/900 Tiger forum and found one post which says the 5mm (thicker) disc will be OK. I have also posed the same question to the company I bought them from. :popcorn

The annoying thing is the pads are less than half worn. :roll:
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Post by JezZedexE1 »

Job done and working well after a week of riding 50 miles a day. :rock
before.jpg
before.jpg (180.47 KiB) Viewed 110 times
after.jpg