This is crazy, but I like it

General other bike discussion

This is crazy, but I like it

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:39 am

OK, so I know some of you guys probably do a lot more net surfing and keeping up with the times more than I do so you may be aware of this already. That being said I had to post something up because I was seriously impressed. In just a very short time, less than 10 years electric bikes are starting to kick gas powered bikes asses. And we are really only at the beginning. There are several manufactures out there with some really cool bikes, but the one that really sticks out right now is from a US based company called Lighting. The bike they make is called the Lighting LS-218. It already holds the top speed record at more than 218 mph right out of the box. 200 rear wheel horsepower, 168 foot pounds of torque, zero to 60 in 2.2 seconds. This is faster than any superbike 1000 on the planet and the only thing that supposedly comes close to it is the Kawasaki H2R. They are also just coming out and taking reservations for their newest bike the Carbon. It's not as fast but still top speed of 150 mph, and more color options, more street able and less money.

The cool thing is it re-charges in about 30 min. and has a range of around 150 miles. Of course this varies some on how you ride it, but really no diff. than the same variances you would get on a gas bike. Plus for me 150 is about as much as I like to go these days, and if you had to you can always find a store or some place you can plug in and take break and have a cup of coffee. I usually stop at least once maybe 2 times over 150 miles anyway. Throttle response is suppose to be excellent, you can ride it at 20 mph or 150 mph just the same, very responsive and easy to ride. Top equipment in the forks, brakes, shocks. No cost cutting in these items. No clutch, no shifting, and almost ZERO maintenance. Just one moving part in the motor. Of course I know some won't like not shifting and stuff. But, like it or not electric bikes are the future, zero emissions as well. As I write this the big 4 Japanese manufactures, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and H*nda have all decided to put together their best minds to collaborate on coming up with the absolute best battery they can. Why? because all 4 of them are going to be introducing electric bikes into the market very soon. No more emissions to pass, almost no limit to horsepower and torque. One bike I looked at makes 550 foot pounds of torque! Holy Crap! The Italians currently offer 3 diff. electric bikes also very good looking fast very cool bikes. (Forget the manufactures name) So, does this mean I am going to get rid of the Turbo? No, I am not. And the LS-218 is a little pricey for me at $38,000. I honestly feel like this is a really good competitive price when you consider how much a new Yamaha R1M or the new Fireblade cost. I am just a broke old bastard.

I will be watching to see what the Japanese manufactures come up with.

Here is a Youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3DiAecsh_0

Sorry, forgot to mention one other very important benefit that a crap load of people are going to be looking at. ZERO fuel cost!, and ZERO oil cost! (It is a liquid cooled electric motor, but I am sure that doesn't need to be changed very often)
longfiredragon
Supporter

Re: This is crazy, but I like it

Postby JezZedexE1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:05 pm

All well and good, BUT

Sorry, forgot to mention one other very important benefit that a crap load of people are going to be looking at.

Electricity has to come from somewhere. :cry

Cost of producing these "eco-friendly" cars is too much and as long as brake pads & tyres wear out, there is still pollution coming from them. Technically not zero emission/non polluting. Manufacturing pollution also is more than ICE vehicles per unit. Batteries!! :mad

I won't go as far as saying I wouldn't want one, but there will need to be big changes and improvements until I do. Let's face it, IOM TT has had electric bikes for a few years now but they only manage 1 lap. Senior race is 6.

:beer :popcorn :thumbup
JezZedexE1
2 x UK ZX-750E1
1 x US ZX-750E2
JezZedexE1
Supporter

Postby riturbo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 pm

The guys at my local have a few electric dirt bikes .They say they ride pretty good . The noise factor is the only thing that would even make me consider one as its pretty much illegal to ride anywhere but private property here so you could slip through the trails without being noticed . As far road bikes they can keep em . You still have to pay the electric bill so really cant see any savings and would suck to be in the middle of no where and need a charge . It is the wave of the future though and they make lots of power .
riturbo
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:04 pm

Jez, your right and I agree. I am familiar with the battery issues. I researched this years ago when all the Hybrids starting coming out. There is pollution in the manufacturing process and the end of life destruction process of electric cars, because of the batteries. Of course every ICE vehicle on the road has a battery in it already.

We are in the beginning stages of this stuff and we for sure need to make improvements, in the manufacturing and destruction processes.

The cool thing about most of the bikes is they charge over here on what is a 110 outlet. So there is no need for a actual charging station per say. Any place that will let you plug in, is good to go. And as far as being stranded somewhere with a dead battery, of course I suppose this can happen. That being said I have ridden a motorcycle from coast to coast. The bike I was on had a 6.2 gallon tank with reserve. Believe me there were several times when I hit reserve and was hoping and praying for a fuel stop around the next corner, or over the next hill.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but where I am electricity is pretty cheap in comparison to fuel. I am sure as this becomes more common place stores and such will start putting in more places to charge and charge you some cost to do it. And of course they will probably up the cost. That is the way of the world.

For now though I still think it is pretty cool. Most of my riding is back and forth to work which is only 4 miles one way. I could charge up one of these bikes and ride for 2 weeks on 1 charge.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Betterthanfabio » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Id have an electric bike in a heartbeat...Once they evolve a bit more.
I cant agree with the extra pollution bit.
Where I live 90% of our electricity is from Hydro & a combustion engine bike over its life produces way more pollution in the form of used sparkplugs, hundreds of litres of oil, used oil filters, clutch plates etc, worn engine parts that need replacing, More brake parts eg. pads/discs due to regenerative braking being easier on these components not to mention that the average bike spits more harmful pollution out the exhaust per litre of fuel than a car does. No warmup needed so no fuel burned there or sitting at the traffic lights. Wouldn't wake the neighbours up going to work. Actually I could plug it in at work & charge it! Free running! :pasties They've been rolling out charging stations here for a while now & that will keep increasing & the range will get higher as well.
I'll never sell the turbo but to just be able to jump on twist the throttle & go with no noise, no hassle, no engine maintenance, no stopping at the servo seams very appealing to me.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Postby longfiredragon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:07 am

And that was kind of my point to Fabio, less maintenance, plug it in at home and just zip back and forth to work for the most part, and I could plug it in here at work also. Work currently does not charge you anything and we have 1 charging place.

Lighting, the US manufacture I posted is out of California and they list a map showing all the charging stations out there. Looks like pretty much the entire state is covered, you could probably travel top to bottom with no worries about charging stations. Unfortunately Florida is about 20 years behind Cailf. (Which is a good thing in some ways) Plus you know where the charging stations are going to go first, all the big cities, this is not where I ride. I want to see them come out with a quick charge pack that you can carry with you like they make for charging your cell phone.

This way if you get stuck you could just plug it in and get say half battery or so to make it to the next charging station. Plus I think some people think well I don't want to sit for 30 or more min. waiting on the dam thing to charge. But really if your at say half or quarter battery when you reach the charging station it will not take the full charge time. 10, 15 min. your good. Hell I stop that long just to rest my butt and have a cup of coffee every hundred miles or so.

For me I will most likely have to wait for a while. I have been kicking around the idea of something newer to drive. My old truck is kinda hurting these days, no AC one window that works. Not sure if I want to spend money to fix everything or just say screw it and get something newer. The last new car I bought for myself was in 2004 :wanker
longfiredragon
Supporter

Return to General