Rear wheel size

Update the rear to put the power down
deiferdog
Supporter

Rear wheel size

Post by deiferdog »

Hi All,

Have bought a GSXR600 rear wheel for the impending swap, it was advertised as 17x5.5 but now I've got it, it turns out to be 17x6.0. Is this likely to cause a problem? Have seen folk referring to gusseting the frame for the 6.0 wheel. Is this actually required for some reason or can I just fit the 180 rear tyre I've got and not worry about it?

Cheers
NA ZX750A3 currently undergoing major surgery
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Re: Rear wheel size

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

If you use the 17X6 wheel (GSXR 600/750 Swing arm) your front offset goes from 10MM offset sprocket to 15mm offset for alignment. This is where I wound up guesseting my frame (lot of proper work) so the chain cleared top and bottom so I could run a 17X6 with a 190/55/17 tyre. This is very involved and have to jig the frame so it does not twist.

You should be using the 17X5.5 GSXR rim that has the deep (about 2 inches) cush drive as you will have to machine off 6mm to align to the front 10mm counter sprocket for alignment. Shimming your swing arm slightly side to side for exact alignment.

Hope that helps!
:thumbup
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

I would agree with C in everything he said. Curious though you don't mention what swing arm you are wanting to use?

Reason I ask is because (And someone correct me if I am not remembering right) but you can't use a 5.5 wheel with the stock swing arm. Maybe someone has but can't remember.

On another note you can swap to a 5.0 inch wheel off a 95 ninja ZX6r, keep the stock swing arm and avoid all the above mentioned work with the exception of gutting the inside of the stock air box for chain clearance. ( There is also some machining on the sprocket carrier/cush drive, brake caliper bracket and one spacer needed, off of a 93 ZZ r600, and the chain adjusters bored out to accept the ninja axle, still less work though) Then you can run a 160x60x17 with zero issues in the stock swing arm. And truth be known, unless you just like the look, or your wanting to push a lot of HP you don't need a 180 or 190 rear tire the turbo won't use all of the tire in the corners. The 160x60 will take everything the turbo can throw at it and they are a lot cheaper. Tire technology has come light years and a 160x60 works outstanding on the street with our bikes.

Good luck :thumbup
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

All good info. I have pics somewhere of a bike here in Hobart with 5.5 rear & 180/55-17 tyre. It has a standard swingarm & std forks with caliper adaptors for the 120/70-17 front as well! Bear in mind that the 180 is nominal sizing & not all brand 180's will be exactly the same width & shape. All tyre manufacturers have a chart with the exact width the tyre is fitted on the recommended width rim.
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Post by longfiredragon »

Thanks Fabio for chiming in. I was pretty sure someone had stuck a 5.5 in the stock swing arm, just didn't want to say not knowing for sure. Of course that said I can tell you having played with this setup and swapped to the 5.0 inch back wheel that swapping to the 5.5 in the stock swing arm requires a lot more than just sticking it in there. No matter the size or manufacture of the tire.

You will not be able to use the stock brake caliper connecting bar. Unless you want to get creatively crazy the stock 630 chain and sprockets won't fit. Pretty much any 180 size or mfg. tire you use there will only be a nats ass of clearance between the tire and swing arm. So if you swap to the 530 chain & sprockets you most likely will have to get creative with the machining as well. Don't do it right and there won't be clearance for the rear sprocket and swing arm.

Of course other stuff also. Like if you want to use the stock chain guard you will have to butcher the crap out of it to make it work. Also it is stated in the "How to section' here that if you swap to the 5.0 wheel you can use a 530 chain and sprockets with no issue. This is not correct. With a 1/4 or 6.35mm offset front sprocket you still have to butcher the stock air box cover to have chain and sprocket clearance.

Anyway, enough rambling. Sorry.
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Hi all many thanks for the replies, really appreciated. Looks like I'll have to get the 5.5" rim then as I'll not be moding the frame as well. I'm using a gsxr600 K2 swing arm, now installed, and I've bought a gsxr600 rear caliper. Got the deep hub and have had the 6mm machined off already. I'm on the look out for a replacement shock, common thinking on here is to use a ZR750 item.
Love this site, so many helpful guys like you on here. Thank you 👍
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

Measure your swing arm as there are two versions that are exact length as Kaw 750 and one that is almost 1.5 inches shorter can you say easy wheelies! Use the one same length as OEM so measure what you have.
On the rear brake you will be disappointed in the 600 rear has no power as it is a small diameter Rotor and caliper not as powerful. Use the 1000 or busa rear brake with larger rotor and brake caliper you will have touch friendly rear braking go with front braking. Hated the 600 brake on my turbo.
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Def got the correct (same as original length) swing arm installed. As for the rear caliper, hear what you're saying but as my bike's a std non turbo GPz it may be ok. Will fit and see, if its not up to the job I'll swap it at that point. Currently wrestling with figuring out best/easiest way of getting the barrels back over the pistons without taking the whole engine out of the frame & complete dismantling. Those pesky piston rings.....
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

Piston rings no problem!
I had the 810 kit & the bigger pistons makes you loose a lot of the chamfer that makes it easyto get the barrels on. I found a piece of PVC pipe in the garage & cut off 4 pieces about an inch high then cut a slit in each one. Slip around the piston rings & hold on tight with cable ties.
Slip the barrels down cut the ties & pull the bits of PVC pipe off, done!
There was no way I could do it in the bike without these. Took about ten minutes to make them too.
Here's a link to the pic.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5126/sam0552t.jpg
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Genius!! Thank you so much for that. I was going to go with a modified Monster Energy drink can as I discovered yesterday that its exactly the same diameter as the cylinder bore without cutting a slit in it, just cutting the top off, sliding it over the pistons and pulling it back out of the top of the barrels. Your way looks alot easier for clamping up the rings though, will use your suggestion :beer