Front & Rear Sprocket Alignment

Update the rear to put the power down
deiferdog
Supporter

Front & Rear Sprocket Alignment

Post by deiferdog »

Hi All,

Measuring the dim from wheel centre to rear sprocket centre, its approx 100mm on the standard GPz wheel & 120mm on the GSXR600K3 wheel I'm going to be using. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, is there a standard way of dealing with this? Are offset front sprockets available & if so where from, or do you do it some other way?
Many thanks in advance
NA ZX750A3 currently undergoing major surgery
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Re: Front & Rear Sprocket Alignment

Post by Charlie @ Evergreen »

You need the deep cush drive rim from Suzuki, used a TL 1000 5.5X17 rim . The cush drive needs to have the face machined 6mm so it sets the sprocket deeper in rim. use a 10mm offset front sprocket. When doing your alignment you can shim the swing arm in the frame. Usually 10mm shims on each side fit tight. But if your frame is a tick off from manufacturing you can adjust the shim thickness. Best of my recollection doing my 750 so if anyone see's I missed something clarify it for us.

Good luck!
84' ZX750 Turbo 85'ZX750 Turbo
Betterthanfabio
Supporter

Post by Betterthanfabio »

I dont think you can go much past 10MM offset. I think I remember Charlie posting about his chain rubbing on the frame so maybe search that up then & make sure you go less unless your prepared to modify more bits. Search "rub on frame"
You should try to know everything about something & something about everything.
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Believe with the 10mm offset front the inner cover has to be removed if memory serves me right. I did a full on gussetted frame so could run a 17X6 rim with 190 rubber. Had to gut the chain cover and grind ribs down flush also so no rub using a 15 mm sprocket. Lot of work. But it really worked great. That was a whole lot of setup but with the new engine being built by Roger at that time was good time to do the frame mod with old engine cases still in her.
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Hi both, that's great. many thanks for replying.

Just to clarify Charlie, when you say I need the deep cush drive rim, is this a.k.a. the sprocket carrier?

Had a look at a pic of a TL1000 sprocket carrier and it does seem quite deep so am assuming this is what you're referring to

Thanks again
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Yes that is correct. Carrier is like 3 inches deep. The other one is only about a inch deep.

There are pics some where in my build thread showing the modification. :thumbup
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 324 times
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Perfect, thanks Charlie, as ever you're a star :clap
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Just noticed that the TL1000 carrier has 6 cush driver chambers whereas my GSXR600 wheel has 5 so its not going to fit. I've had a look at your build thread Charlie & you mention the GSXR1000 carrier, although when I looked on ebay they all looked pretty much like a standard 600 carrier in terms of depth? Do you know of a Suzuki 5 chamber carrier that has the depth of the TL1000 version?

Just a thought, if the TL1000 carrier is 3" deep, even with machining 6mm off the face won't the rear sprocket be even further out than the standard GPz wheel causing an even bigger misalignment with the front sprocket? Just my logic anyway, maybe it would be more obvious if I had the bits infront of me....
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

You may have been looking at my 6X17 rim not the 5.5X17 TL rim. I went to the bigger rim a year and some later with frame gusseting so could run a 190. You machine the face the ring gear sits on 6mm to bring it deeper to center of rim. Then the front off set being 10mm the chain is ready for fine tune alignment. Use a laser.

viewtopic.php?p=120737#p120737 Here is the page where put the TL 5X17 rim installation on spare bike

This is the cush drive to NOT use. The others being wider if 5 or 6 should be good to use. This thin cush drive would leave the ring gear support very thin.
Attachments
get-attachment1_zpsf5de170a.jpg
get-attachment1_zpsf5de170a.jpg (16.21 KiB) Viewed 280 times
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Thanks once again Charlie, really appreciate the reply. I know that 16mm offset front sprockets are available, is there a reason why you cant just use one of those as the net effect would be the same?
dazbo
Supporter

Post by dazbo »

that will be because your chain will then need to run through the middle of the frame tube :help
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

:lol: :lol: no worries cheers, I haven't done the measurements at this point. Now I know :thumbup
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

Yup Daz is right on! 10mm max you can use have chain clearance why the bub needs 6 mm removed off face. Get er done! :thumbup
deiferdog
Supporter

Post by deiferdog »

Will do Charlie! I'm still not 100% sure which rear sprocket i should be using. I had bought a standard gsxr600 K3 one but if I mill off 6mm it'll be about 2mm thick across the disc which will make it unsafe to use. I can't get the sprocket carrier to sit flush with the face of the wheel anyway as the rubber cush drives are holding it off face by a few mm. I looked at gsxr1000 carriers but from the pic's on ebay they don't look any thicker than mine. Any suggestions gladly received!
Charlie @ Evergreen
Intercooler

You should be using a 530 setup. Sure you could use a higher strength 525 also.
Gearing wise will offer this suggestion. The 17 tooth front will work but if the rear setup is not original height ie slightly taller the chain will rub on the chain pad/guard. I wound up running at the end a 18 tooth with a 53 rear. Liked the gearing for all around performance and riding.

On the cush drive/rim did not run into issues but bought a rim with the cush drive that were together. You may have non compatable parts ??