From zx6r to zzr1200

Update your forks and brakes to match the performance

From zx6r to zzr1200

Postby Piney Power » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:02 am

hi

we did this originally in 2006 (?) with a 2005 zx6r front and rear
it was too short. the bars are too low for comfort and the turbo does not drain the oil to the pan correctly unless you park the front elevated and eventually seeps past the seal after sitting a while

i also had a zzr front end and one of the guys on this forum made made me a stem years and years ago .
Health issues front and center I'm finishing all the things bothering me including this

I'm not sure of the ground clearance/oil drain difference yet but the bars are definitely higher. I'll pick it up from the machinist this week.

gimme a minute...i'll figure out how to post pics

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18oaqAx ... sp=sharing ZZR pic from today

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ImPfzm ... sp=sharing old ZX6R
Ride 'em while you still can
Piney Power

Re: From zx6r to zzr1200

Postby DEATH_INC. » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:49 am

Yes, that looks much better.
Rip Loosebruce and Daryl :(
DEATH_INC.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand, at the arse end of the planet

Postby longfiredragon » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm

Hey Piney thanks for sharing the Info. I like the ZX6R front better, I want the Turbo more aggressive and lower handlebars, plus the inverted forks. But you say it had issue with being too short and the oil issue draining from the Turbo back to the sub pan, which some have on the totally stock bike.

My question is, how much shorter is the ZX6R than say something like the Busa swap that a few have done and I have never heard anyone say anything about the oil drain issue? Also did the handlebars hit the tank on the ZX6R swap?

Thanks
longfiredragon
Supporter

Postby Piney Power » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:17 am

Yes the zx6 bars did hit the tank so we made new steering stops but the turning radius was awful.
It all just added up to me not liking anything about it but the looks.
But I did love the low aggressive look :)

At this point I prefer practical and ridable.

I can't compare Busa front but i can get sprung and unsprung measurements of the bike when I get it back.
Of course It would have been smart of me to obtain same measurements from zx6 front before removal . Dang.

I got two bikes running very well over the winter . This blue one is third to finish. Chipping away....
Ride 'em while you still can
Piney Power

Postby longfiredragon » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks Piney, glad to hear you got 2 machines running. They were more curiosity questions at this point. Thinking of going Busa way because others have done it and it seems to be about the best swap in MHO. You get a nice rake, and because the Busa is not a small bike (Like the Turbo) you get big mm inverted forks, and really nice large Dia. rotors, and multi piston brake calipers. Plus it is a more aggressive ride position, but I don't think as bad as the little ZX6R is.

Busa's weigh in just a tad under 590 pounds wet, (By memory) so if this front end works well for it, I think it is a great choice for the Turbo.

The biggest drawback (And it is not just with the Busa front swap) is if you every want to run a intercooler. And it still might be doable if you could find a really slim cooler, and mount it lower or something, don't know, not even close to there yet.
longfiredragon
Supporter

Return to Front end swaps